Thursday, October 22, 2020

Addendum To: So, How Do I React To This?

I don't think I followed up with on my blog post about getting this condescending e-mail about my work and talking myself down from going all apeshit on it.  Well, as soon as I got into work the next day I went up to my supervisor, the person who sent me that e-mail, and like I said on my reply to her, I wanted to know what exactly she saw on this queue that led her to believe that I needed to do them.  I really, really wanted her to recreate the queue, even though she took care of both items, because (and I don't say this with any pride) I don't remember if I actually saw those items or, if I read her correctly, I really did not check before I left for the day.

In this software there is a title line for each of these, um, cases.  When my supervisor either re-created the queue or at least found the cases she did instead, I looked at the title lines.  I did not have a "Eureka!" moment, but from the words I saw, I think I in fact did see them, which meant I did check the queue.  My supervisor said I was not trained to do one of the things.  The other I could have done; the title line for that case said that an affidavit for information I myself asked for from the person who collected this urine sample came in.  However, the information did not get back to The Third Department, aka the department I was working in.  Rather, the collector sent the missing information to the client liaison for my company who handles that collector/account, who in turn passed it along to The Third Department via the queue on this software.  What I was supposed to do, according to my supervisor, was open up the case, save the copy of the affidavit that was attached on this software, and appropriately process the application for this urine sample because all the information that needed to be collected had now been collected.  To repeat: This was information I sought.  However, that information wasn't given back directly to me.

In retrospect, I think I was trained on the possibility that could have happened, but it was very brief and so long ago.  My supervisor had to tell/remind me that affidavits can come back to us this way, and so we are expected to process information we receive indirectly.  I told her that even though I may have been told this, it's been a long time.  So when I saw that title line of this case, I didn't see any words for which I immediately figured out I could do it, and therefore I left that, as well as the other case, alone on the queue.  My ignorance was my defense.  And better to leave something than to do something wrong.

I think my supervisor accepted my excuse.  She told me to look out for things like that from now on, and I could use more training on the fringe, uncommon things that could occur in The Third Department.  And that was it.  And she seemed more chill than upset.

I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment