Friday, October 30, 2020

RIP, City Pages

I peeped the news at work Wednesday.  After 41 years, City Pages, the Twin Cities' longest-running alternative weekly, shut down.  I was planning on going out after work that day, and I was lucky I was downtown so I could come across copies of the alt-weekly.  I picked up two at the bar where we usually watch our games, for posterity.

And I can add that to the piles, and heaps, and mounds of old City Pages copies I have and have yet to read in my storage unit.  That publication, probably more than any other, is what I have, and have to go through.  And ironically, now that the CP has closed down, I now feel as though I need to keep every single one of those copies.

There are now no good sources of free journalism in the area.  The neighborhood shopper, I'm afraid, isn't adequate.  I was able to grab a coffee, sit down, and for an hour (at least) go through CP and read the big, exciting, frequently- profane story they publish for that week.  Some of them were political, some slice-of-life, some weird, and many I don't read, but every single one a piece of the local journalism puzzle that felt as though the major newspapers and television stations did not and/or are not able to cover.  Oh yes, I liked the culture listings every week.  And oh yeah, I will definitely miss their annual Best Of issue.  I will miss all of it.  And this death (the pandemic shut down entertainment venues, which appear to be a huge chunk of the advertising revenue in the weekly) blows a mighty hole in local journalism.

I'm sad.  But (and permit me to be macabre) at least I won't add more copies of City Pages to my unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment