Thursday, October 29, 2020

This. Is. The. Spike. Am I Part Of It?

As predicted by many, the onset of cold weather is resulting in a rapid rise of COVID-19 cases ... and, eventually, hospitalizations and, gulp, deaths.  Washington state and New York City got hit first, then the South got socked over the summer, and now it's the Midwest's turn.  We were all going to get it, but I was just hoping that we would be smart enough to avoid increasing the cases of coronavirus, or even, by some miracle, dodge this "third wave" with a vaccine that would be ready by now.  Oh, by the way, I know the statistics have both Dakotas and Wisconsin appreciably worse than Minnesota (with Iowa sort of inbetween).  If we are doing better, it is relatively better -- maybe even cosmetically so.

I am started to be terrified about getting this virus again.  I have relaxed (or have become fatigued) dealing with this in the months since the pandemic began.  But now that I know the state is seeing a record number of cases and it shows no sign of abating, plus seeing as how the winter will drive us indoors where the 'Rona thrives, I feel it in the air again.  And even though I am going out a bit more often than at the onset of the lockdown, I'm really scared that this thing is going to get me.

Shit, man, what I have done just this week is giving me pause.  For example, last night I went to my ex-alumni club's bar to break the news I will not be hosting watch parties there because of the pandemic.  I ate inside.  It was only an hour, and the closest person eating near me was at least a dozen feet away and didn't say anything.  But after I left I felt a burning sensation in my throat, as if the virus has just infiltrated my respiratory system and I am feeling the start of COVID.  Hell, I went back to work tonight just so I could eat the hard-boiled eggs Father made for me this morning, and I did not put back on my mask when I was doomscrolling on my phone.  And I got that burning feeling in my throat again.

For all I know, I have it now.  I've been tested ... seven times (seven antigen, one antibody), the last time a few weeks ago the morning of the Vikings Game against Atlanta.  I need to get tested again.  I actually have the day off tomorrow, so maybe I'll have time to go to a clinic.  But if I got it this week, I might be getting tested too soon to see if I got infected.  Can you believe that -- I have to wait in order to possibly test positive for a virus that could kill me or people I love.

It's coming, man.  It's coming for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment