Friday, October 23, 2020

Me, The Forgetful Fantasy Football Player

Not only am I in fantasy football, I also do some other fantasy football-related games.  I do some pick 'ems, where you pick the winner of every single NFL Game (no spread and no money).  I also am in a couple of Eliminators, also known as suicide pools, where every week you need to select a team that will win, and where you can only use a team once.  I am in three such Eliminator pools, one just for fun and the other two usually for money.

The two for money is part of a fantasy football website that also incorporates a pick 'em.  I got hip to it from someone at an alumni club football-watching party.  It's run by a friend of his son.  He says this website, where people pay in a fee of $25 to play these competitions, got to be so popular (and, I'm guessing, lucrative) that he quit his job and is working this website full-time.  Nice work if you can get it.

So partly because a fellow alumnus asked me to check it out and party because I am a degenerate gambling, I signed up.  This was at least three years ago.  I have signed up for these competitions ever since, even though I have not come close to winning.  It does not help that, from time to time and despite e-mail reminders, I have forgotten to chose my picks, either in the suicide pools or the pick 'em.  And on this website, if you do not choose a team in the Eliminator, you automatically lose.

That's what happened this week.  I was watching the Giants-Eagles Game while scrolling through my e-mail.  I received a reminder from this website saying I had yet to choose my team in the "Second Chance" suicide pool.  I thought I had already done that.  But then I slapped my head, uttered, "Fuck," and realized I had probably gone through all my picks for the pick 'em game without going to the suicide pool and making my selection.  Fucking Christ.

This is not the first time I have bowed out of this website's games because I forgot to select.  But as bummed as I am now, at least I didn't spend $25 this year.  I did so the previous years, and I know that I have missed picking in one of the three competitions at least once every year.  I don't remember being so furious at myself as I am now.  Maybe I should be, because I had been throwing away $25 a year for at least the past three.

Why have I not cared?  Sure, it's only $25, but it's also money.  I could use that for something else, or at least give a full-hearted effort to remember to make picks every single darn week.  Sometimes I don't understand why I am the way I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment