Tuesday, October 27, 2020

To Be The Cover Man At Work ... Maybe

More changes at work.  The person who has the weird "wraparound" schedule where she works Saturday through Tuesday told me yesterday that she's leaving the job in a few weeks.  Welp, that means that, until my boss can find someone else, he will need people to cover, more than the others (and in fact I don't think he'll need anyone for the other days), Sunday.  She was there, I think, for 10 hours each of the four days.  As a Monday-to-Friday person, whenever I filled in on Sundays (like I did this past Sunday, for example), I needed to fill in just for four.

That probable need to fill in cuts both ways.  On the one hand, I have always felt like working there Sundays isn't work at all.  There's no one there besides me -- no boss (usually; a couple times I've seen him there), no co-workers, no one.  All the work that needs to be done can be done by one person, and unless the software or the scanners jam, it's a breeze.  (If they do jam, it's a pain-in-the-ass, because I then will need to get ahold of my boss, who is, well, off the clock, I presume.)  And like filing second shift, I have the run of the place.  Well, sort of; my main department is in a hallway, so even though there are people traipsing through the whole four hours I'm there, I still act like it's my own office.  I crank the radio on to listen to football, and I take my sweet time walking over to it to change the station broadcasting another football Game when that station is on a commercial break.  I probably could be more productive, but if there is no one around to critique your work, why pop a blood vessel to prove you're working?  Oh, one other thing: I have a bunch of paid time off that I thought I needed to use, but turns out I didn't.  Well, if I come in on a Sunday, that's so many hours I'll get back in paid time off that I didn't take time off.  Might as well save it for 2021.

On the other hand, I am running into the same situation I did this time last year, in which there was no one to work Sundays and I was asked to substitute right in the middle of football season.  I had to miss a couple of Game-watching parties, but all the Vikes Games I could have worked I did, so someone else had to come in to work on Sundays and work those four hours.  Things are a little bit different on that front this year.  I don't plan on hosting Game watches this year (should talk more about that) so my Saturdays should be free.  Also, and I think I've said this before, the pandemic has led the sports networks not to hire as many locals for Games.  I missed out on the Packers Game (even though I had a chance the Friday before to get on board if I had jumped on the call and text quicker), and I am slated to miss three others.  But I much rather work at U. S. Bank Stadium on Sundays than at work, easy environment at work excepted, and so I still might beg out of filling in on the infinitesimal chance I get called to run for Vikes Games.  And if I don't get called in, well ... I miss out on work.  I sent an e-mail to the crewers for the network to ask if she can give me some advanced insight into whether there's any chance I could work those three Games.  Couldn't hurt to plan ahead of I can.

I think I've filled in enough times in enough places to prove that I am a "company man," so not working on some Sundays shouldn't shoot my reputation to pieces.  Hell, I have Friday off and because the second shift Filing person is taking that day off too, I think I am going to send an e-mail to my boss and offer to work, like, five hours that evening.  I don't think I can even do that, but I'll try.  But I see downsides to both saying I can and I can't cover where and when necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment