Friday, February 16, 2024

So my boss e-mailed me yesterday/Thursday saying, and I think I've got this right, "Since you had overtime Monday and Tuesday, let's have you leave early today (meaning yesterday/Thursday) and tomorrow (meaning today/Friday)."  Wait ... what the fuck is this "let's" thing?  I don't think this is a good fucking idea!

That e-mail blindsided me.  But maybe I should not have been blindsided by it.  My boss continues to harp on me about OT, all the way through to the performance review I had last month.  But it seemed at the time as if he finally understood the energy and time I have to devote to do the job right and get all the forms I'm asking information for processed once I get answers to my questions.  Also, and he was a bit candid about this during my performance review, but he is under pressure from his boss or bosses to make sure I don't accrue overtime.

With that being said, I hate being told the day of work that I am supposed to leave early that day.  Beyond the surprise, though, I don't like that, basically, I am being told how much money I can make.  Maybe I shouldn't be shocked.  He has told me to leave early when the work that day is light.  But I don't remember being told I have been cut early that way.  And that bothers me.

Maybe my rationale has nothing to do with what happened yesterday/Thursday, but I have gotten used to racking up OT.  When I started this job, I was only working 40 hours a week.  That was fine because I didn't know any better.  But then I got walloped by The Fourth Department, and after a lot of hemming and hawing, I realized I had to stay late to do the job properly.  That's overtime, and I have been cranking out hour after hour of OT and receiving remuneration for it.  If that remuneration stops, it feels like someone is just arbitrarily taking back the money I was making for my hard-earned work.

Potentially losing money I, frankly, have come to expect, has been weighing on my mind so much that ... you know, I'm tired, and I want to go to bed, and I think I am going to just let that last half-line alone. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment