Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Pilot Light Was Out

Should have suspected something when I washed dishes in lukewarm water.  But I tried to take a shower and I cranked up the handle and it was still cold, so I suspected something.

The fucking pilot light was out.  Thankfully, water heaters these days don't ask you to light up the end of a piece of paper and risk lighting yourself on fire.  But the first time the flame wasn't the I expected but an out-of-control orange, and it was making these hissing noises that made me think the goddamn thing was gonna blow.

Thankfully, I waited.  I see a gauge outside the water heater with a blinking light indicator.  It's been blinking blue all this time, which means it's operating normally.  And I just checked; the raging orange turned into a raging blue, and then it has become to solitary, humble blue light I remember seeing when the water heater is acting normal.  The hissing sound's gone, too; according to the only Internet site that hasn't tried to scare the fuck out of me, that hissing is coming from the condensation as the heater is trying to get itself up to optimal temperature.  Once it did, I think, the hissing stopped and the flame quieted down to what it now is.

Now, I can take a shower.  Hopefully before the house blows up.

After my uncle died, I don't think the family needs two more deaths the very next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment