Friday, November 8, 2013

A Resounding Return To Form, For The Most Part

Worked the Vikings game last night.  And even though it was with a different network, my night working stats for these guys went a hell of a lot better than the last time I worked a Vikings game, where I kind of fucked up and in turn was disrespected by that shit-talking diva.  In fact, I wasn't yelled at at all.

One of the guys I was working for was someone I had worked with for a long time, and he yelled at me, a lot.  But since the last time I worked with him, last year, he not only has calmed down, but he's been downright, well, nice.  Shocked the shit out of me then, and despite the swirling tension of getting the right graphic up and numbers jotted down, he was the epitome of zen.  He treated me great.  I don't know if something happened in his life or if he smoked pot just before the game started, but fuck, I like this version of him.

My main contact was ranting and raving, but not towards me, so that's good.  I was seated -- well, more like wedged -- just beside a guy who's, well, rude but in an aloof way.  I remember being in that same exact position when I did a game with this production last year.  I introduced myself and shook his hand; he told me he needed me to keep my head in a certain position so he could see past me to a guy he had to maintain contact with throughout the game, and he didn't have the decency to give me his name in kind.  The only thing he talked to me last night was telling me to keep my chair wedged in this small space so I wasn't in the way of people who wanted to walk through the truck behind me.  Well, this guy wasn't outright rude with me (yet), I didn't have to speak with him, and he doesn't fucking make the hires, so I'm cool.

It feels good to be hired for my brain.  I was hired to compile stats, and, like usual, I compiled more than was used.  Nevertheless, if any of my stuff gets on the air, it not only justifies you working there, but it's a huge stroke for your ego.  And they used my stuff.  Unfortunately, there was a mistake.  And it was a mistake I could have prevented if I had my head on straight and looked at my notes.  With all the chaos of a production truck and the emphasis on getting correct the play before you, one frequently forgets the details of what happened, say, in the first half.

However, this too was not a big deal, mainly because no one in the truck made it a big deal; we all just shrugged and kept their focus on the next play.  Also, I was able to rectify my mistake when they wanted the statistic for the post-game.  That felt really good, even though I believe they may have either gotten the particular numbers wrong or fudged them to make them look better.  Again, no one made a big stink about it.

All in all, this may have been one of the best, happiest times I've ever worked a Vikings game.  After the last time, it was very much needed.  Why can't more games go as smoothly and respectfully as this?  Let's see what happens the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment