Monday, November 18, 2013

The Longevity Of The Batteries In My Mouse

I have thought from time to time about marveling here on Wailing And Failing over how long the batteries in my mouse last.  They last a long time, and I had thought that wouldn't be the case because I not only use my lap so often but I turn it on and off all the time (I use a wireless mouse which uses a thumb to connect to the lap; I think that takes up a lot of energy, or at least I thought it did).  Moreover I have used some of the old batteries I lay on top of my desk for the mouse because I can't bear to throw the batteries away until I'm absolutely sure they're out of juice.  (I should get a battery tester, although I have a very old Duracell package that had that vertical meter, you know, and you put your battery right in it and press down on both ends of the battery to see how much it has left.)  Those old batteries, however, once I get through the ones that immediately make my mouse meter blink red (meaning it's about to run out of energy), last a long, long time.

That includes this one.  I finally write this blog post because I looked at the mouse after booting up my computer and it's finally, finally, running out of juice.  I don't remember when I grabbed this old battery to put it in there; that's how long it's lasted.  Instead of feeling sad about the "death" of this battery and the admittedly insubstantial stress of finding a replacement, I want to commemorate how much life this battery has given to help me operate this laptop despite it not having enough to power some other electronic appliance.  RIP, good soldier.

No comments:

Post a Comment