Sunday, November 3, 2013

NFL Anti-Picks, Week 9

Record, Week 8: 3-5
Overall Record: 20-30

Total Outlay, Week 8: $450.00
Total Winnings, Week 8: $286.35
Loss, Week 8: $163.65

Overall Loss: $699.08

My bad beat was Cleveland-Kansas City Under 39.5.  Chiefs won 23-17.  That result was so close I initially thought I won, and just now I recalculated the numbers above when I realized I was wrong.

But looking back, I am shocked that I bet only $50 on all the single bets.  I remember doing these while at My Favorite Late-Night Italian Place.  But did that mean I was so tired that I couldn't think of putting down any other dollar amount?  Or was I so shellshocked at how poorly I've down with previous weeks that I thought it would be safer for me to play it conservatively this time?  Hindsight's always 50/50, but right now I'm kicking myself for only laying down $50 on Green Bay -8 1/2 and San Francisco -14 1/2.  Of course Minnesota and Jacksonville would get their asses blown off!  I should've bet $500 on both and roped the two into a $1,000 parlay.  I would've been out of the hole then!

---

Unfortunately, though, the Jaguars are on a bye this week and the Vikings are visiting Dallas, which is motivated to put last week's come-from-ahead loss in Detroit behind them but may be so inept on defense that they might be in a tussle with Minnesota, of all teams, anyway.  In other words, it looks like there is only one fish in a barrel.  So I might as well lay a lot of money on that one and, again, wager only $50 on the rest.  Will I?  Let's see:


1) Buffalo +3 1/2 (It's a home dog thing.  Beyond that I have no concrete reason.  Kansas City is winless Against The Spread so far the last nine times they've played a team from the AFC East, but that should mean they're due to break that streak.  I just think that this is one of those games in the NFL where a team should on paper soundly defeat a team doesn't) $50

2) San Diego +1 (According to Covers' so-called Power Rankings, Washington should lose this game.  So, even though they are playing in Our Nation's Capital, I'm going to bet on the road underdog Chargers to win Against The Spread Best Bet ...) $100

3) San Diego M/L -3 (... and lay some money on them to win Straight-Up, even though the Moneyline bets I've seen actually have the Chargers favored) $50

4) Minnesota-Dallas Over 49.5 (I should lay some money on Dallas to win SU, but I've just got a bad hunch the Cowboys will underachieve.  What I do know is that the Vikings Defense is only a myth.  Dallas might be able to score 50 on their own; if Big D's D accommodates Christian Ponder and the Vikings when they have the ball too, all's the better.  OK, I'll Best Bet this) $100

5) Seattle -14 1/2 (OK, if there is a sure thing at all this season, it's winless Tampa Bay flying as far as a team can go in the National Football League to Seattle in order to lay down and die in the deafening din of CenturyLink Field.  The Seahawks have to be able to cover ... right?  Quadruple Best Bet this, Daddy's losing his shirt) $200

6) Pittsburgh-New England Over 44 (Are the Steelers arounding into form?  How depleted are the Patriots on the defensive side of the ball?) $50

7) Baltimore-Cleveland Under 41.5 (I might be placing too much on the fact that the Ravens were stolen from Cleveland.  But the Browns' defense is for real, and they are motivated to pounce on a Baltimore offense that, for whatever reason, just doesn't have it) $50

8) Parlay 6) and 7) together, for $50.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment