Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Thing That's Been Taking Up All My Time Lately ...

... is my parents' trip.  They are preparing a multi-week cruise over the holidays to Europe which includes seeing my sister and brother-in-law.  And of course, since they are not familiar with the continent (Mother went there with my sister a long time ago; Father has never been), they need my help doing the research -- what attractions they should see, what hotels are close to those attractions, maps that get them from public transportation to their hotel, how feasible is renting a car, etc.

I want to help.  But I've been helping them for the better part of three weeks, if not a month, and there is a whole lot of shit I should be doing instead.  So most of my nights are spent getting on Father's computer (which was repaired by my brother because My Father downloaded a virus but is now running slower, if not worse), waiting for all the information to come up, trying to figure out train timetables and which links will get me to the information I need.  I then tell that to my parents, who then ask more questions that totally dismiss all the work I put in up to that point and are impossible to answer.  After one, two hours I'm pooped by all the work I had to expend for them, and I therefore have no time to devote to my work; I just either take a shower, watch TV, or go to bed.  Seriously, I'm more tired after doing this for my parents than I am at work.

I want to help, and I certainly don't want them flying blind over in Europe.  They have two barriers of language there: They can get by with the English they've learned while living there, but having them jump to countries where, even though they speak it fluently, they speak English with an accent that I think will make it impossible for them to understand any stranger they ask directions or tips from.  Add to that trying to navigate them to their hotel in an unfamiliar place from a computer across the pond, and not only is not being able to be there with them is a source of pressure, doing this work for them while not knowing for myself whether this map or this attraction is any good sometimes makes me wonder if I'm just wasting my time or, worse, leading them into danger.

They need my help not only because of their relative computer illiteracy but also because they think I know Europe more than they do.  I do, but the last time I was there was after I graduated from college 15 years ago.  My sister could do a better job, but she's over the Atlantic and she's busy.  So it's up to me.  And even after doing and doing for them to the point of exhaustion, I don't think that's enough.  And so, not only have I grown resentful of them (I'm spending a lot more time working on my computer at coffeehouses before coming home and facing their requests -- like I'm doing right now), I've just been too tired and so I've allowed stuff to pile up, like writing and my duties with the club.

My only respite is that it'll be over soon, my probably inadequate work for them notwithstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment