Saturday, November 9, 2013

College Football Anti-Picks, Week 11

Record, Week 10: 6-4-1
Total Record: 31-43-2
Total Outlay, Week 10: $1,000.00
Total Winnings, Week 10: $1,089.10
Gain, Week 10: $89.10
Overall Loss: $834.10

Some good news and some very, very bad news.  On the bright side it's the first time in I'm guessing a month where I've been above .500 record-wise for a week.  I certainly could use the emotional lift of knowing that I "bet" right more than wrong for once.  Unfortunately my huge debt induced me into taking a lot of shots, and enough of my losses came on big bets that my total profit for the week turned out to be minuscule.

In particular, my two $150 bets sunk me.  Notre Dame's win over Navy wasn't a slugfest, it was a shootout.  (And oh, Tommy Rees, the season-long starting Quarterback for the Irish, was in fact playing in this game.  That was information I would have liked to have known before I made that wager.)  Meanwhile, I was lucky that Georgia managed to beat Florida by three points, because I got Georgia at -3.  I wish I could've won, but I'll take a push and my original bet back.  That would also have knocked my only parlay of last week from a three-leg to a two-leg ... but that was moot because Texas A&M in fact was able to beat UTEP by at least 47 1/2 points.  Along with UCLA failing to beat Colorado by at least 28 points, I lost my last three best of the night (assuming you put the parlay last on the list), shaving my profit down to four figures and ending my Saturday night on a down note.

Oh, by the way, when I published my Anti-Picks I forgot to put in a number for the Moneyline bet I laid on Minnesota, which won on that absurd lateral that wasn't picked up by that Indiana player.  Sorry to find a number after the fact, but I wasn't going to just give up the bet because I failed to average all the numbers I was getting for betting on the Golden Gophers Straight-Up.  Luckily I was available to find this site, and even though the online betting outfits are different than the ones on Covers I usually use, I'm satisfied that the average of +251 would be close to the number I would have gotten if I averaged out all the oddsmakers' numbers when I was about to publish the Anti-Picks.  Since I bet $50, I would have gotten half of the sum of that $251 and an original bet of $100.  One hundred dollars on +251 M/L would have given me back a total of $351, so if I divide that by two, I would get $175.50.  That is the amount of money I would have won if I properly gave an M/L when I was supposed to.

---

This is too much money to owe, and I don't have too many weeks left to make it up.  I need to do some hard-target searching and bet big on games I like:

1) Iowa -14 1/2 (I have a co-worker at this temp job who's either a Hawkeye alum or a huge Iowa fan.  Last week he drove all the way down to Iowa City to see his team lose to Wisconsin.  And he told me today that, probably as we speak, he and someone else are driving all the way to West Lafayette, Ind., to take in this game.  I continue to say that the Boilermakers are by far the worst team in the Big Ten this year.  However, Iowa isn't so great, either.  Then again, I need to make up so money fast, so I'm going to throw caution to the wind and Double Best Bet this) $150

2) Missouri -13 1/2 (A team still trying to escape the embarrassment of losing to South Carolina goes on the road to play a downtrodden Kentucky squad.  Again I don't like the high number, but the mismatch in talent is so stark a blowout is definitely possible.  I'll Best Bet this) $100

3) Penn St. +2 1/2 (Minnesota is only the second college football team in history [the 2006 Arizona club being the other] that has won three consecutive games Straight-Up despite being an underdog of at least seven points in all three.  They host the Nittany Lions, and they're playing very good.  But something tells me that this awesome streak is going to end.  I'm not saying Penn St.'s going to win; right now I think Minnesota is the better team.  But there is some wiggle room with that +2 1/2, so I will make a small bet) $50

4) North Carolina -13 (No insights here; I am desperate for a win, the Tar Heels are playing at home, and the only thing that's screaming at me about this game is "Virginia sucks."  Best Bet this) $100

5) USC -17 (November is the last month of the regular season, thus it's the month teams that are really bad get their brains beat in by teams that really want to impress.  Despite hosting USC, Cal is one of those teams.  I'll make a small bet here) $50

6) Indiana -9 (The Hoosiers showed me a lot last week in coming back against Minnesota.  They host Illinois, which is not that good.  Indiana will try to rectify what they failed to do seven days ago.  Ah, shit, Double Best Bet this) $150

7) Central Florida -12 (The Golden Knights are quickly becoming the class of the Old Big East -- and if I'm not mistaken, it'd be these guys, not Louisville, that would make the BcS.  Best Bet a win at home against Houston) $100

8) Pittsburgh +4 (Hosting Notre Dame, and you know how home dogs are.  Plus the trends say the Panthers have covered while the Fighting Irish have not.  Best Bet this) $100

9) Parlay 4) with 6), for $100.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment