Saturday, November 2, 2013

College Football Anti-Picks, Week 10

Record, Week 9: 4-10-1
Total Record: 25-39-1
Total Outlay, Week 9: $1,125.00
Total Winnings, Week 9: $722.70
Loss, Week 9: $402.30
Overall Loss: $923.20

A desperate week becomes even more desperate after another bad, bad week.  But at least I won a lot of money!

I will say that there were a few very close misses last week.  If only Clemson and Washington could have scored one more touchdown, they would have covered their double-digit spreads as favorites.  I don't think I would have wound up positive, but I would be a little farther away from being a grand in the hole.  Meanwhile, congratulations to Minnesota.  I bet against them to the tune of $100, but like I said in this week's Weekly Minnesota Sports Survey, you have to give dap to a team who finally beat a program for the first time in over half a century.

By the way, Covers trends picks went 1-2 and my friend's touts went 2-1.  Unfortunately I roped in all three bets from both sources for my parlays and therefore lost a bit more money.

---

So maybe what I should do, instead of making small bets on lots of games, is to bet a large amount of money on a smaller set of games.  This technically is being done after the early games kick off, but I think it's so early that these wagers can't be affected by what's going on, so I'm going to go ahead and give myself the run of the whole slate of games, from sun-up to sun-down:

1) Ohio St. -31 1/2 (I don't like the spread, and the Buckeyes are playing in Purdue, but the Boilermakers probably are the worst team in the Big Ten, and they're hosting the best) $50

2) Northern Illinois -28 (I think these Huskies are for real.  They're in the BcS.  Shoot, if they win out, why not give them a shot against Alabama?  Fat chance that'll happen, but they should whip UMass in UMass.  Best Bet this) $100

3) North Carolina -5 1/2 (They play on the road vs. N.C. St.  Betting this only because sharp bettors in Las Vegas crushed the line, or at least this game when the original line came out) $50

4) Minnesota +7 1/2 (I see that the line has come down from 9.  Like the Gophers, Indiana is having a resurgent season.  That said, in a game between two programs not known for their football, I'll put my faith in Minnesota.  So much, in fact, that I'll Best Bet this ...) $100

5) Minnesota M/L + (... and I'll bet on them Straight-Up.  The line coming down has to say something about how people who know football more than I do think this game is going to go) $50

6) Navy-Notre Dame Under 48.5 (OK, here's my thinking.  Navy runs the ball heavily.  If they are successful, scoring is going to be pretty low and possessions will be at a premium.  I don't think the Midshipmen's defense is any good, but the few possessions the Irish will have well be helmed by the back-up.  I saw him come in for the second half against USC, and he's terrible.  Is he playing this week?  OK, I should have looked it up.  But I'm going to say that he is, and therefore Notre Dame won't score either.  Do you see what I'm getting at?  OK, I'm going to Triple Best Bet this) $150

7) Georgia -3 (Both teams lost last week.  I think the loss by the Bulldogs shows less about that team than the one suffered by the Gators, who still have serious issues on offense.  Georgia wins easily in The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party, so Triple Best Bet this) $150

8) Florida International +26 1/2 (OK, this is a shot in the dark.  Sharp play pushed this up from an opening line of 21.  The Panthers face East Carolina, and I haven't heard anything spectacular about them this year, so I have no idea why this line is this big.  Are people mistaking Florida International with Florida Atlantic, the latter of which is the school whose Head Coach and Defense Coordinator both were fired this week after getting busted for pot?  Best Bet this because I need to make up some money fast) $100

9) UCLA -28 (I'm not as high on the Bruins as before, but they are hosting Colorado, who I still think is bad) $50

10) Texas-El Paso +47 1/2 (They visit Texas A&M.  The Miners aren't a good team at all, but this line is just way too big.  The Aggies aren't that good.  Best Bet this) $100

11) Parlay 2), 7) and 10) together, for $100.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment