Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pre-Thanksgiving/Dranksgiving Overeating/Overindulgence

I planned on going to the Minnesota volleyball game after work, so it didn't make much sense to go all the way home.  But there is a restaurant close to work of which good things have been spoken of, and so, with 3 1/2 hours to kill, I thought I would try Hazel's Northeast.

I ordered a few of the dishes I've seen recommended -- the fried (possibly Cajun?) pickles, the Reuben and the sweet potato fries.  All good, the Reuben in particular.  Orobably being the only customer there during the four o'clock hour, I felt safe in taking my time taking out and rearranging my receipts.  I wasn't done, however, and I still had some time before the volleyball game, plus I was very happy with my meal.  So what the hell, when's the next time I'm going to eat here?  I decided to get some dessert, an oatmeal-crusted brownie with ice cream.

Oh, shit.  Even though it was delicious, I hit a wall about halfway through it.  I got so fat that my gut start to hurt, like I was damaging my appendix again.  So for the first time in as long as I could remember, I asked for the rest of the brownie to go.

I was able to eat the appetizer and main course without a problem, but with dessert I hit a wall.  I thought I would be able to work off all the food I ate because free parking for the game is so far away I had a good walk ahead of me.  But that brownie put on some extra extra calories in me, and I felt no slimmer after hiking that mile or so to the Sports Pavilion.

Out of routine I buy a hot dog and Coke even though I wasn't hungry.  (It was also my first and only time at a volleyball game at the U.; just been either too tired or had something else to go to to attend any other game besides this one, the home regular season finale.  I wanted to buy some food for a v-ball game at least once, and obviously this was the only time.)  I certainly couldn't hold it until I felt the urge to have a bite because it would get cold and I didn't want to hold onto a hot dog the whole game.  (By the way, the game turned out to be a relatively tight one; the Gophers beat Wisconsin in four sets, but it lasted a little more than two hours.  As tight of a four-set win I've seen in a long time, if not ever.)  So I reluctantly sank my teeth into the hot dog, and after a few bites I hit the wall again.  I looked at my half-eaten hot dog, shocked that my stomach couldn't, well, stomach another bite of this sports snack.  I literally could not eat this food, and that has rarely, if ever, happened to me before.  If I were the man I was even ten years ago, this would not be a problem.  Eventually I finished it, though it was the most unappetizing hot dog I ever had.

Even though Hazel's was great, I regretted getting that dessert.  Nevertheless, that didn't stop me from going to Caffetto after work (with a quick stop at My Favorite Stripclub [Non-Cover Division]), seeing they had pumpkin pie, and thinking I would regret not appropriately celebrating Thanksgiving if I didn't get pumpkin pie, even if it is a day early.  And so, even though I still wasn't hungry, I had to purchase the pumpkin pie.  Still ate it slowly, and I didn't have as much internal angst over it; it helps that I had a plate and didn't have to hold it in my hand.  But I still had to take my time with it, and I think the sharp ache in my gut came back.

---

As I said in my previous post, I woke up early this morning.  Since I couldn't fall back asleep, I figured the best thing I can do at this point was go to the community activity center to work out all the food I crammed down my throat the night before.  I was able to get about 90 minutes' worth of exercise in.  But I forgot that the day after a night full of food would work my excretory system.  I took a shit in the morning, I took another shit just before leaving for the gym, then at the gym and before working out I had to take another dump.  I felt I needed to take a fourth dump after exercising, but they were closing up the gym by the time I got done working out, so I held my bowels until I got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment