Friday, September 19, 2014

Dumb, Drunk, Demented House Moth

Off and on over the past few hours I've been trying to save this little house moth from death, and from itself.

I first saw this guy wildly gesticulating his legs while it appeared to be face-up on a large drop of water at the bottom of the bathroom sink.  Now, I never thought a drop of water to be dangerous, but to a little creature like a moth it probably looks as wide and deep as the ocean.  So because I didn't want to turn on the faucet and drain it to its death in the suburban pipe system, I took my tweezers and tried to save it.  I flipped it around, tried to get it away from water, but whenever I did put it back upright he'd jerk around back and forth with no rhyme nor reason, then stumble into another drop of water in the sink like it was actively seeking to be drowning in water.  And for a while it looked like that is exactly what happened.  But after I touched it with my tweezers, those moth legs began to flap around again, and I knew that it was very much alive, though quite, quite stupid to function as a productive member of society.

After making sure I don't crush the moth by squeezing the tweezers, I finally brought him up from the basin and, with the help of my mini-stapler, I deposited him on the bathroom counter.  I thought things would be good and the moth would be safe to (if its wings were damaged by the water or my tweezers) limp around the house until it died.  But I came back a little later to see that it was back in the sink.  And this time it looked as if it was a grain of rice -- legs and wings pressed up against the body like it was about to be wrapped.  I don't know what happened, but I surmised that he just wanted to go back down, did, and naturally got caught in water that stuck its wings and legs together, and it died because it couldn't move to find something to eat.

I got the tweezers for the little house moth -- not to save it, but to finally dispose of the dead insect carcass in the trash.  But once again, after I jabbed it once, the moth sprang to life, albeit really herky-jerky in walking from place to the other.  Great, I need to save this thing again.  And I did, carrying it up into my soap dish.

Came back later in the night to see its legs and wings wrapped tightly against its body, looking like a grain of rice.  The water may have binded the moth's parts together, but it looked dead.  I touched it again with my tweezers, and once again it kicked back to life.  But like all those times I saved it, the moth had a devil of a time righting itself.  I have no idea whether it's on its back or not, so I flip it over.  The moth spreads its wings and starts pacing on the soap dish, but it's weird.  It doesn't just turn, it goes one way then immediately goes the other way, and the moth does it so fast it's as if it cut from moving one way then moving 180 degrees in the other direction.  It was that fly in that tape in the American version of The Ring.  Don't know what else to do, so I just left it because it's alive!!!

Last time before going to bed, I see it again, and I'll be damned if that moth is belly-up once again in the sink!  This damn moth has a death wish or something.  It looked dead, but this time I didn't really give a damn whether or not it really was dead because I got sick of saving it.  So I turned on the faucet to wash my fingers, and I didn't care if I washed the moth down the drain.  (I didn't.)

---

This morning I woke up ... and the moth was gone.  I have no idea what happened.  Maybe it found a way out.  Maybe it finally reached its destination of dying down the drain.  If it's either, I have to ask how it found the power to move either up the sink wall or down vertically into the drain.  There's a third explanation: Something else ate that dumb, drunk, demented house moth.

No comments:

Post a Comment