Sunday, September 14, 2014

Working The Game

Another tense day working the Vikings game.  Spouted off a number of yards gained that made no sense, and then I took off my headset to ask a question, something that I should not ever do.

But that was in the first half.  I think they stopped yelling at me in the second half.  So that makes me think they're happy with me.  I mean, they asked me to check out some things and I did.  I also corrected some things and noted a late fourth-down play.  But after the game, when I sat down to eat and reflect and try to process the tension taking over my body, I realized that this would be the time when I would not be asked back.  I keep thinking that I've done so awfully that I won't be asked back, yet I keep getting asked back for five years now, so I thus think that if I think I did well, that's when I'll be fired.  I have to gird myself for that.

---

That asshole who tried to fire me was still there.  Looked at me, probably remembered who I was, then didn't care that he was going to walk in front of me.  I'm working here, you fat piece of shit.  I may not be hired ever again, but I was hired to work this day, therefore you have to give me some respect.  Fuck you, you fucking fuck.

---

Not only do I think I'll be fired, this guy with the production thinks he'll be fired, too.  Something about his bosses leaving for the airport after the game.

I feel sorry for the guy.  People like him in his position are put through the wringer for little pay.  Had a little talk with him after the game, where he didn't know if he was going to have a job tomorrow.  His position is basically stressful no matter which network you work for -- CBS, FOX, ESPN, or NBC.  He took this job because the pay's a little better than the others; it's not middle-class, but it's more than I'm earning this year.

If this guy feels like he's losing his job, I can't be the only person feeling the pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment