Friday, September 18, 2015

The Most Fun $50 I Ever Earned

So I was at a shoot from 9 until 6:30 yesterday.  Got paid $50 to be an extra, which comes out to about $5.25 per hour, which was the minimum wage twenty years ago.

But you know what?  I loved it.  No stress, no expectations.  Just go where they tell you to, do what they tell you to, follow directions, and when you're done, go sit and eat.  That's what the shoots -- well, all shoots I've done as an extra -- are about: Time to graze and talk with the extras when not "acting."

It was fun, and everyone was cool.  I talked with the other extras the most, and they are really nice and fun people.  We spent a large chunk of the day just talking to each other.  To spend your day talking with other people and getting paid for it (even if it's only peanuts)?  I would actually prefer that job to an actual one.

In fact, I had to stay a little while longer while the other extras were let go because I was in background for a couple more shots.  That's OK, I didn't mind.  And the crew gave me a hand after I wrapped.  For me, just an extra?  Aw!

It would be great being an actor, wouldn't it?  I had ... well, have ... dreams of being one.  But I've never pursued them because, well, I would hate to fail.

---

The temp agency called me this morning.  Probably have a job lined up for me.  Right now, I would rather not work.  For one thing I am on standby for being an extra on another shoot, which would pay a little more.  I also have these experiments that I have lined up for next week.  Finally, to be honest, I love being at home, by myself, doing whatever the fuck I want.

But ... my funds are getting low, and I'll have to get back on the horse soon.  So, maybe this is an offer I can't pass up.  Crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment