Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Now My Friend Is Affected (ETA: sic) My Driving

So I sent a missive defending myself from my friend who's nagging me about how I'm running the fantasy football league.  I thought a lot about how I didn't want to come off yelling at my friend, but I wanted to respond to what I thought was him overreacting.  Yesterday, my friend replied, and at this point, he is rapidly turning into my frenemy.  He accused me of wasting his time and writing a "diatribe" in his multi-page e-mail.  He says I contradict myself.  And then he finally said this definitely will be the last year he is in my fantasy league.  Strong words coming from a guy who continually acts like a commissioner in my league -- one, by the way, where we are not gambling for money.

I am pissed off.  And I'll be honest: I am more angered by his accusations than the fact that a friend is yelling at me.  What I mean by that is I am less (well, no longer) concerned about his feelings than clearing the air about what I do and what I get to do.  Bottom line: I care more about my honor than my friendship with him.  That may be sad, but honestly, after freely attacking me, I think he feels the same.

Regardless of why, this has been on my mind, a lot.  And it has affected my behavior, unfortunately.  The most egregious manifestation of that happened as I was driving this morning.  Before coming here for coffee, I wanted to go to the gas station to get some money.  I was stopped at a light, and I was stopped there for a long time.  I got antsy because Father was telling me as I was leaving was that they were going out for a morning walk, and that walk cuts close to this gas station.  If I had to wait any longer, they might have seen me take the wrong turn towards the coffeeshop rather than "to work" as I leave the gas station.  Frustrated, I took a right turn to go to this ATM in the bank down the street rather than wait for the light to turn green so I could drive through.

As I was getting to the ATM a car cuts in front of me.  I was not driving slow, but the car that was behind me decided I was; she changed lanes and then cut back into my lane in front of me.  Now, I usually let that go.  But I was thinking about my frenemy's letter all throughout the drive, and I got ginned up waiting for the traffic light, and that just pissed me off.  So I changed lanes, drove through the stop sign and cut back in front of her before I took the left to the ATM.  And unlike her, I did not turn on my signal.

But then she took a left.  Oh, well.  I was so angry that I was ready for a fight, I was ready to step outside and confront her if we were both going to the ATM.  Luckily (for her or for me?), she went straight while I took a right.  While she passed she looked at me; I glared back at her.  She probably was thinking, "What the fuck?"  So am I, but I know deep down I was scared, and she must have been, too.

And then, after that car was out of my vicinity and I was at the ATM, I thought to myself, "You know, I don't think that was necessary."  Oh, I still believe that she did a dick move, as many have done to me throughout the years.  It was only this morning where I decided to finally fight back.  Of course, you never should do that because of the danger that might cause.  But honestly, if not for my frenemy and that damn e-mail, I gave into the devils of my worse nature.  I'm lucky nothing happened.

And still, still, I am upset over him disrespecting me.  And I have no other choice but to respond in kind.  But how?  Will this continue to affect me and my behavior?  And what if he replies back?

No comments:

Post a Comment