Saturday, September 19, 2015

Internet Down

Ever since My Fucking Father bought a new router our Internet has been screwy.  Well, screwier than usual.  When he threw this goddamn machine on my lap I've had to learn on the fly how to use it.  I thought it was a replacement, but it turns out that this router runs in tandem with the modem.  (This actually is the thing I once thought I needed to prevent our DSL from dropping out.  It has this 802.11 a/c thing which should allow tougher Internet access through electronic interference, which I guess has been the problem in our house.)  Turns out we needed what is called a crossover cable to hook up between the modem and the router.  Brother, who is now my parents' favorite (although that probably has been the case for some time) got it before they left.

But ever since the frequency of drops has increased.  And this isn't the case where one of the lights flashes red overnight or anything.  The power in the modem just cuts out, so we have to wait until it's restored.  And it got worse just now, when I remembered I hadn't yet blogged for the day.  It dropped out two or three times in a row, and I think it's holding on, but I decided to blog about this than another thing to make sure I get this in on time before it magically cuts out again.  Had to miss scores during halftime of the 2:30 football games to deal with this bullshit.

Also, there seems to be another problem with the Ethernet cable.  I check the back of the modem and there isn't a solid green light where the Ethernet is connected.  Either the cable needs to be replaced or the modem.  Hell, it could be both.

Better send this before it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment