Tuesday, September 22, 2015

This Fantasy Sports Commissioning Thing Is A Hell Of A Lot Harder Than I Thought

OK, I'll blame my friend, or at least the weeks-long argument I had with my friend, for this.  (But don't tell him.)  Because I was so worried and obsessed as to what to say to him over our, uh, spat, I neglected tending to the other fantasy football league I'm commish for.

Specifically, I put too much on my plate and have compounded mistakes on top of it.  Not to get into too many details (both so as not to bore you and blow my cover), some people in my league wanted to change the waiver rules for all the players we didn't choose in our auction.  I was going to do that as soon as the auction was over, but I couldn't.  Namely, I wanted them to become all free agents, but I guess I couldn't change that after the auction began, so we were stuck with our previous setting, which automatically placed all players on waivers and having people wait a couple days before they could get them.  I told everyone I couldn't do anything about it.

However, I had forgotten that once waivers were over, everybody then became free agents.  And I guess I wasn't aware of it in the past, but that change came before Sunday's games last week (Week 1).  Someone had complained that people are picking up players as soon as they see them do well.  Actually, I thought that's what we allowed in seasons before.  So I was going to impose my new setting, where players are put on waivers so they can't be picked up during games, immediately.  But then I thought that, for consistency's sake, I should just let this be, for lack of a better word, unregulated for the entire week.  And I was going to change the waiver setting as soon as the late game on Week 1 Monday, Minnesota at San Francisco, began.

Don't tell the other people in my league, but I think I forgot to do that.  Oh, sure, I was distracted with getting my parents to the airport the next morning, and I had these alumni club issues I had to deal with, and I was still worried about what my friend was going to say to me.  But all those things converged and I, well, forgot to change the setting.  And I didn't realize it until I got back to my car after work from the Vikings game Sunday afternoon (Week 2, to be specific), when my friend told me his son was able to do the same thing that several people were able to do the previous week.

At this point I wanted to put my head through the windshield.  I've been telling them that for some reason "the setting didn't take."  I am only slightly letting on that I just forgot to do that, but I think they know.  Anyway, I was going to just let this go for yet another week and completely take the blame for this.  But one person said that the difference between this and last week was that I stated that I was going to put in place these new waiver settings, where players that are available will be put on waivers as soon as his team's game that week starts and will revert to free agency late Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning.  Although I couldn't get other people to say anything about it, there were only three people that did pick up people during Sunday's games, so I am asking them to drop those players.  Some of them are good, too.  And since we are in the middle of the waiver period, they can't pick up the players they dropped because the players they dropped technically are on waivers.  I would be mighty irate if I were them.  But one of them did it anyway, I am asking my friend to tell his son to reverse his transactions, and I e-mailed the third.

Asking this also will cause a whole host of problems.  The other two people have yet to undo their add-and-drops.  I don't know if it's because they're busy, they're trying to take advantage of the waiver rules that render availables free agents after tonight, or if they really don't believe they should have to give up the players that were available during the games on Sunday.  And if they want to raise a stink, I don't know how to answer them.  All I can do is fall on my sword, and that may not quell issues, especially if people decide they're going to get upset at these two people who are still holding onto the people they should not have picked up this weekend.

God, I don't want to commish anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment