Friday, September 11, 2015

Addendum To: Now My Friend Is Affected (ETA: sic) My Driving

Yesterday I was at a library trying to work on a fitting reply to my frenemy's hateful bile of an e-mail to me.  It was important for me to get this out tonight, so even though I didn't think I'd be able to think through and finish the whole thing in the library that afternoon, I wanted to devote more time to it there in order to save myself as much time in the evening finishing it up.  In the back of my mind I knew that even though I was relatively far away from home, I realized that there was a side street I could take that wasn't busy; I could take that all the way home and in no time.

But, of course, as I was driving he and that goddamn e-mail were on my mind and I missed my exit.  OK, I thought, I'll just take the highway home.  And then I saw as I was going through the long and curving on-ramp that, for some reason, it was backed up.  Like, more backed up than usual for afternoon rush hour.  So I shimmied my way to the next available exit.  At this point, I thought, better to go back to my original plan and going up the side street if the traffic on the highway was going to be that bad.

But, fuck me, I run into a huge back-up while getting there.  WTF??  Then I saw that a light at an intersection I needed to go through to get to the side street was broken, so all four ways were getting the blinking red light.  So all these cars were being held up as people took turns and/or waiting for other cars to drive through the intersection.  By the time I got through that, onto the side street and on my way home, I had spent almost 40 minutes in my car.  That was significantly more time than I would have wasted if I had just crawled on the highway.

I hate how my friend, this frenemy, this guy is getting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment