Monday, September 28, 2015

Missed Sunday Night Football, Lunar Blood Moon, CSI

This is a sure indicator of how wiped out I was after pulling in ten-hour days at the Vikings, hosting a game-watching party late at night and going to a soccer match and a party: Even though I had three reasons to stay up this evening -- the Broncos-Lions Sunday night football game, the combination of the full moon and lunar eclipse, and the series finale of CSI, I missed all of it, all of it, because I was too damn tired and fell asleep.

It was around 8 o'clock, and although I thought I could stay up, I knew my body was trying to tell me something.  So, now that I have moved back into my sister's bedroom (because, as you know, that really is my bedroom), I turned the TV on in the dining room, turned the volume on to a level where I could hear it but just barely, went to the bedroom, kept the door open, laid myself on the bed and see where the night and my body took me.  I would be able to listen to the game without having the glare of the TV screen burn through my closed eyes, and hey, if it turns out I wasn't sleepy, I could keep track of the game till I decided to give up on rest.

But I did not give up on rest.  Oh no sirree.  I went to bed around 8 and woke up around 1:30.  In vain I went outside to see if I could at least catch the tail end of the lunar blood moon thing, but there were clouds obscuring it.  Was it cloudy all evening?  If so, there was nothing to miss.  But I've been on Facebook and have seen all my friends -- all of them -- posting pictures of the Lunar Blood Moon, so I guess it was clear tonight ... when I was dead asleep.

On top of that I missed the very last CSI.  I will admit that I never watched a full episode of that show, never in its dozen (?) years.  But I respect the longevity and I wanted to give proper deference to a show that was vitally important not only to the history of the Columbia Broadcasting Station but also to a new kind of subgenre: The nerdy, detailed, science-focused drama.  Although I'm sure real scientists could sift through an episode and point out dozens of instances where the CSI people did it totally wrong, it ushered a different type of detective show, where files and fingerprints were replaced with DNA matches and blood splatter arrays.  It ushered in new vehicles of creating and developing plot lines.  And, in its shallow way, it made science sexy.  That is what CSI introduced to television, way beyond its children preceded in death in Miami and New York and its only living progeny, CSI: Cyber.  For that, I was going to at least watch the very final segment of the show -- which came just after the half-hour-ish period of full totality of the lunar eclipse, approximately from 9:15 to 9:45.  But I missed all of that, of course.

Oh, well.  I heard the game wasn't that good.  At least there was nothing to miss there.

No comments:

Post a Comment