Sunday, December 13, 2015

Final Yardwork Before The Snow Comes

I had not seen the late local news Friday, but for the past few days they were saying that precipitation was coming Sunday.  It did not dawn on me that the yardwork I wanted to do, namely mowing the lawn and laying down seed, could, therefore, not be done Sunday.  And this really seems to be my last chance to these tasks for the rest of the season; Tuesday or Wednesday there should be a snowstorm, and the temperatures will cool after that, so unlike our first snowstorm, any snow coming from this one will stick, and I don't know if El Nino is going to be warm enough to melt that snow anytime soon.

I realized that while coming home from watching the EPL at downtown Minneapolis.  With no outdoors work possible on Sunday I could have -- maybe should have done it all Saturday/yesterday.  Time would be further of the essence because I was meeting friends starting in the late afternoon.  What I should have done was wake up whenever and go out to mow and buy the seed to seed, as well as change the cover on my new car, which I have stored to the side of the house.  Then I would have a lot of time to do those things, then rest (if need be) before I shower and head out for the night.

Instead, I was at a crossroads.  As soon as I got home I was able to change the car cover, see that it did not cover the entire car (they lied to me), and grab the tarp from the garage to put it back on top of the car and the car cover.  It was then that I went to the bank to deposit some money for my folks, and all the while I was thinking whether or not to mow the lawn (buying the seed and seeding the lawn was out, I simply did not have enough time) or take a nap.  I was really tired, so I could have used the 90 minutes I would have.  But, in the end, I decided to overexert myself and mow.  I didn't know if an hour and a half would be enough to mow.  But I know that I would be kicking myself and yelling at myself for not doing it.

So I did -- in the most half-ass way possible.  Cutting corners actually meant that mowing both lawns took only 40 minutes.  And it should have been a little longer, but I ran out of gasoline in the mower.  This was going to be the very last time I was going to use it for the season, so I wanted as little in there as possible.  But I wasn't done, so I put in a little splash.  And then I still wasn't done, at which point I decided to pack it up.  There is one strip of grass that will remain unmowed, and I know where it is, and it's going to kill me if I lay eyes on it from now until the spring.

So I was dead tired meeting my friends, but we had an excellent time, so I wasn't tired anymore.  All in all, I am glad I made the decision to mow yesterday.  The upshot, however, is that I don't think it's raining right now.  It was overnight and through the morning, but not as I type this.  Still wouldn't be able to mow because the grass is too wet, though, so ... yeah, I made the right decision.  And, I can see the lawn without rain pelting me.  Therefore, I should end today's blog post and go out and seed.  See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment