Monday, September 19, 2016

I Finally Got On Top Of My E-Mail

I've forgotten in all the stuff I've been doing lately this sort-of milestone: I finally was able to catch up with all of my e-mails in my main account.  The backlog I allowed after not going through them for, like, a two-week period in May I finally cleared on ... uh, when was that ... it was a Saturday before we left on our roadtrip.  Saturday, August 27 or Saturday, August 20, one of those two dates.  I was at a library, and I could whip through the e-mails, and I did, and I was done.  (Well, not entirely; there's one left, and finding it should be a blog post in the future.)

I'm telling y'all, that's one hell of an accomplishment in my eyes.  It got so bad that some nights I didn't know if I was ever going to catch up.  But I knew the consequences of not taking advantage of all the free time I have right now, so I put my nose to the grindstone and I went through all the junk.

And man, I have a lot of junk in my e-mail.  It just gets away from you, you know -- you buy something, they ask if you want to be continue to be notified of the things you like at the time enough to sign up, and then you get a message from them every day.  And then, unless you do something about them, they get sent for so long that you forget how you signed up with them in the first place.

That's the epiphany I had, and so I finally made the decision to unsubscribe to some of them.  But not all of them.  In fact, I probably kept half of the junk e-mail sources because, just in case, there might be a special that could capture my attention that I would want to know about.  But for the others, such as coupons or chocolate, eh, I'll risk something good passing me by.

I may or may not be seeing the good effects from desubscribing.  First of all, many of them say it'll take, like, three months for someone to get around to taking my e-mail off their lists.  Yeah, OK.  And I realized that I'm taking these companies on faith.  They may have no intention of ever taking my e-mail off of their lists.  But, as I am able to stay on top of my e-mail every day, the amount I get every day seems to have lessened.  Maybe.  And after three months or so, it might decrease even further.  So we'll see.

Nevertheless I'm so glad I'm on top of my main e-mail account.  Now to the other e-mail account, which is at (checking my phone) 23,525 messages stretching back about five years and counting.  I'll get right on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment