Monday, September 5, 2016

Is There An Opposite Of Hangry?

If there is, well, I feel that way now, and in fact I often feel that way.

Last night my family had a feast at my brother and sister-in-law's place, and while the food was great, I had my fill after eating the baked potato and corn.  They weren't bad; it's just that I felt obligated to eat it all, and I quietly resented it.  It's way past the point where I can just eat and eat and eat; I don't have the metabolism I had twenty years ago.  But now it seems as though my limit on what I can eat before I get upset has become less and less even though whenever I am in a family or social setting people keep saying, "Eat, eat, eat!"

I remember, when I was young, reacting ... not well to being told to eat more.  And that was when I could eat everything.  So, several years back, when I started seeing the made-up word "hangry," which is a blend of hungry and angry, I really didn't understand the concept.  I don't get mad when I need to eat.  I don't think I ever have.  I was at the Megamall on Saturday and I saw the word "HANGRY" on a t-shirt.  My God, it's definitely a thing millennials say these days.

In fact, if anything, I get upset when I am definitely not hungry, and in my old age my tolerance for food and for eating has gotten shorter.  So I hope this doesn't become an issue when my family and I hit the road.  If Mother insists I stuff my face for dinner or even while I'm driving, and I don't feel I need to eat (and I probably won't most of the time), I'll get angry.

Full and angry.  Could that be called "fullangry?"  I'll work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment