Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The Difference Between 3 And 4 Is Huge

So I have a radio (it's not really a boombox, but it's not, like, a small radio -- want you to be able to imagine the size of this thing) that my parents/family gave me as a birthday gift back in high school.  Still have and use it to this day.  I don't use it much, and the alarm I used to rely on to wake me up, which I liked because the alarm is just the CD I would put into it -- and so, said CD was Chopin, which is a great way to ease into consciousness -- broke, so it's just a radio and CD player.  Nevertheless, I use it -- sparingly, but just a couple days ago I listened to the jazz station and the Monday Night Football game on it.  It's a good machine.

But ever since I got it, I noticed something: There is a huge jump in volume between Setting 3 and Setting 4.  While sometimes I actually want to hear something, sometimes I have to keep the volume down because I don't want to be too loud.  So I hit the button going down, and it seems as though the decrease by going one step down is not proportionate to what it should be, you know?  Similarly, I go one Setting up and the sound I hear goes from a murmur to a rock concert.  Just by going from 3 to 4?

The first time I noticed this I spent a good 60 seconds toggling between the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons.  I can't believe that this could happen because it's, in my opinion, "wrong" -- there has to be a way of fixing this.  But not only have I noticed it with my radio, but I also notice it with some other devices, though not all.  And it appears to come from the lower end of the volume spectrum; at some point that low, the volume seems to have to bust out to a normal level.  Still don't know how that can't be controlled, but if I have encountered more than one device that does this, this may be a problem more common than I originally thought.

This is not something I'm going to complain over.  It's just something I've noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment