Friday, September 23, 2016

The Weekly Minnesota Sports Survey

#0: Vikings (Last Week: 0).  I've been elevating the survey too many times this year.  Perhaps that's because I'm a softie, or I have to face facts and that things are kind of good with the local teams this year.  At the very least, though, I have to give recognition to the Vikes, who, in their curtain-raising game at the brand-new U.S. Bank Stadium, outlasted the hated Green Bay Packers Sunday night, 17-14.

The revelation, of course, is the offensive potency provided by Quarterback Sam Bradford, who was sent to the Vikes in a trade (for a first-round pick, and I'm still incredibly peeved about that).  He looked like a world-beater, dropping in perfect passes to his receivers, most notably Stefon Diggs, who I believe was perfect in catching the passes Bradford targeted for him.  I'm ready to give these two a 'Ship name -- Diggsford!

The Peterson injury -- and I don't mean this to mean that I'm glad that he tore his meniscus and could be out for the rest of the year -- could be a blessing in disguise.  First of all, let's be honest -- All Day is not the man he once was, and yes, I understand he led the league in rushing last year.  He's past 30, the Magic Age after which Running Backs slow down and break down.  Besides, him leading the league raises my next point: It's a passing league.  Peterson led all rushers last year because not as many teams run as they did before.  And finally, with the platoon replacement of Jerrick McKinnon and Matt Asiata, maybe they together can make up for some of the deficiencies Peterson was never able to fix, namely pass-blocking.  They may not make up for AD's production, but again, if Peterson isn't able to produce like he did before, how much of a gap will the platoon have to make up?  And besides, without needing to give Peterson his carries, this offense could reorient itself to become a passing team and finally join the 21st century.

Now, I understand that the offense wasn't really firing on all cylinders.  The Vikings only won by three points, and remember that Green Bay went for it on 4th down (and failed) when they could have kicked a chip-in Field Goal; if they took the points instead, this game would have been tied and then who knows what would have happened?  (That's why I cannot give this club Positive Numbers.)  But Aaron Rodgers was bottled up all night, and therefore I have to shine an angelic spotlight on the defense, which is more than earning its keep.  They'll need to show up in force again Sunday afternoon in (I'm assuming, unless the riots there get really violent again) Charlotte, where they play the NFC Champion Carolina Panthers.  I'm scared that Bradford will not be able to replicate what he did last week this week.

(Oh, by the way, the eerie, uh, coincidence of the first Touchdown ever to be thrown at Ooooosbahnk Stadium, Rodgers to Jordy Nelson, in the house of the team in the state of one of its most famous sons, Prince Rogers Nelson [duh-duh-duuuuuuuuuuuuh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!] ... uh, let's pump the brakes on that.  It's just a coincidence, that's all.)

#-1: Gopher volleyball (Last Week: Positive Numbers).  Given the meager opposition, it's no surprise that the squad won its Diet Coke Classic and the Sports Pavilion.  They beat North Dakota, Toledo and Wisconsin-Green Bay.  Nevertheless, I noticed that these Gophs actually dropped a set to the Fighting Hawks.  They lost a set to UND?  I don't get it.  And that's why they slip behind the Vikings in this survey.  Congratulations to Samantha Seliger-Swenson, by the way.  Not only was she named the MVP of the DCC, she three-peated as Conference Setter Of The Week.

This weekend the U. begins conference play with home games vs. Maryland tonight (Friday night) and, in a much tougher game, Ohio St. tomorrow (Saturday) night.

#-2: Gopher soccer (Last Week: -1).  Haven't attended games at the U. this fall yet.  Could've gone to volleyball, and I like the Diet Coke Classic, but I've realized that a team this good will roll over inferior competition, so I would rather watch them play against, say Penn St. or Nebraska.  Meanwhile, the soccer side had may be its most challenging 1-2 punch last weekend, and I had time to see both.  And it was worth it.

Friday night, while getting bit all over, I saw Simone Kolander tie up a very important contest against Penn St. on a corner kick.  That match ended in a 1-all draw.  Then, on Sunday afternoon, the Gophers routed Ohio St., 3-0.  In both games they took the game to them.  They looked fast; in particular, Kellie McGahn consistently beat her defender on long balls down the field.  I guess it might be better if they could pass their way down the field, but hey, I'll start really complaining if the rest of top-flight women's soccer does that.

After a very successful weekend, the U. still hovers around the Top 10 in the polls.  The B1G recognized that as well; Kolander was named Offensive Player Of The Week and Goaltender Tarah Hobbs Defensive Player Of The Week.  This week they hit the road and travel to the Hoosier State for games against Indiana (tonight) and Purdue (Sunday afternoon).

#-Infinity: Twins (Last Week: -2).  Ugh.  Lost all six games this week; got swept by the Mets and Detroit.  And this shit happened yesterday:



Look, one of the co-owners of this team went to my alma mater. But even they have to agree that this is fucking unacceptable. My God, if I were there, I would've thrown my trash onto the field. Because like deserves like.

They finish playing at home this weekend against Seattle (allowing the Mariners to get back into the Wild Card chase), then head to Kansas City for three starting Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment