Sunday, September 4, 2016

Mercurial Fantasy Footballers, Mercurial Coffeeshops

I have two fantasy football leagues I'm a part of.  Of the two, I have one that's more important to me because 1) I am the commissioner of the league and 2) the other league is run by a friend I'm having a falling-out with ... don't want to talk about it now, maybe later, but he's not behaving any better than our beef stemming from my old third fantasy league, which I will not revive for this or any season.  (And oh, I don't want to talk about that now either, maybe later.)

Because of my family roadtrip, I set the auction for the Friday before Labor Day.  That is very early, considering the actual season starts on September 8.  Ideally, I would have done this the night before, on Wednesday the 7th.  But after someone asked that we move it to Sunday, and after thinking that it's possible to have a late dinner at home after hanging out at the Fair with my sister and brother-in-law, I did it.

Then I got into a swirl of what-ifs.  I initially thought to do it at the same time.  But I have to pick up the rental car we're using Sunday night, and there might be a big Sunday dinner that evening.  So, I asked the fantasy footballers if we could do it in the afternoon ... where I would be conducting the auction at my brother and sister-in-law's place, where we are having Sunday dinner after my sister called an audible so she and her husband can see their place and visit our niece again.  People seemed to be cool with that, except for my friend, who preferred it late in the night so as not to coincide with putting his daughter to bed.

At this point I'm babbling in tongues and going cross-eyed in finding the right time to conduct the auction.  Finally, for the sake of continuity and my best friend's schedule (as well as that of the another person), I kept it in the evening, but pushed it back a half-hour to 7 o'clock.  That way I hope I'll be done with dinner, but I'll still have enough time to control my team before we have to go pick up the car.  Fantasy football leagues are won in the late rounds, but it's the best I can do.  Besides, I won last year mostly by cutting and adding free agents, and so I can do it again this year, no problem.

---

Meanwhile, I think it's more than time to get a new computer.  Both Caffetto and Urban Bean have had hiccups lately when I wanted to sit down and work.  It's maddening to have your day ruined by an unconnected laptop.

But the weird thing is, I went to Caffetto Thursday and Friday and both times, my computer worked just fine.  Got on the Internet to work and everything.  This was after my lap hadn't worked twice.

This still bothers me.  I'm thinking that I would get hooked up to these two coffeeshops' wi-fi just fine every time if I had a newer laptop.  And I need a new computer for other reasons.  But if this old workhouse can still get on these places, at least some of the time, then the problem isn't this thing, it's them.  And if that's the case, why should I replace my laptop?

It's just maddening that something I think you should be able to reasonably rely on isn't, and it's doubly maddening that you can't pinpoint the reason why.

No comments:

Post a Comment