Thursday, September 22, 2016

Rained Biblically

My God, I have never seen so much rain come down so hard, so fast, so often.  I was coming home from the MRI machine last night and, although I was make it to my car before it began, the first massive deluge came on my way to Barnes & Noble.  I took a side street, and although I may have driven through there when it has rained heavily before, I don't remember driving through it while there was so much standing water that I was really afraid it would seep into my car through the bottom of my doors.

It has rained for long periods in Minnesota before, but not like this.  The rain was start-and-stop through the evening after I reached home, but when it started, it poured.  There were three more periods where I could tell it was raining torrentially, biblically.  (That makes the fact that I was able to walk around town and get through the front door with only a couple of drops landing on my head that much more miraculous.)  Each alone seemed like a rainstorm that was as powerful as I've ever seen.  But four of them, all in the same night?

I have been on this earth for 40 years.  I remember the rainy season in Los Angeles in January, where for one week that month every year it would just rain and rain and rain.  That's the closest I've seen to rain strong, hard and copious enough to cause floods, and still, what I saw and heard several times last night was a level beyond.

I am seriously afraid that the basement in our house is flooded.  I thought about going downstairs to at least check the laundry room to see if water has seeped in from the bottom, but I didn't go.  Maybe I should have.

The weather radar showed the reason: The storm laid a meteorological track through the north metro, therefore all the rain was "training" through our area.  Five inches came down in my city.  More than nine inches fell in a city in the northwest Twin Cities.  My goodness.

The forecast calls only for sporadic showers today.  Guess it'll still going to rain, but not heavily, so hopefully the sewers and sump pumps now have the time to digest all the water that's come down.  Fingers crossed; hope all of you in MSP are OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment