Saturday, November 26, 2016

No Politics Around The Game, Please

So my alma mater's final game is this afternoon.  Fueled by that, the team's seven-game winning streak and that it is Thanksgiving Weekend, I am expected a few more people than we usually get.  We could break double digits.  Fingers crossed.

One of the guys, though, is a diehard Trump fan.  He's been touting Trump ever since he became the Republican nominee.  Frankly, he's been pretty fucking annoying about it on Facebook.  (Aside: He is Jewish, and Trump has just hired as his right-hand man a noted anti-Semite.  I don't get Republicans.)  But he's a diehard alum and, even though I haven't seen him yet this year, I consider him one of the most "active" members of the chapter.

It'll be nice to see him again.  Really.  He is really interested in the football team, and although some of his ideas are cockamamie, he is very knowledgeable about the team, I am sure of it.  I just hope to Buddha and God and Allah and all other deities above that he doesn't.  Bring.  Up.  Trump.  I have no reason to believe that he will, but frankly, since this election has happened in a way that has never really happened before, and knowing that he is fervently pro-Trump, I'm really scared that he's just going to start talking about it during the game.

I also concerned about another scenario which I think has a slightly greater chance of happening.  There is another member of the club who I don't ever remember seeing.  She was a diehard Hillary Clinton fan.  She even volunteered and canvassed in the Philadelphia area.  So she must be heartbroken that the Enemies Around Us decided to fuck ourselves and this country in the ass.  I'm very scared that she'll start talking about the election.  I only say that there's a slightly greater chance of that happening because I don't remember seeing her at all, and therefore I don't know her enough to believe that she will keep politics out of the game.

As President, I have to be diplomatic and keep the peace.  I am hoping -- assuming -- that the members will behave themselves and keep today's conversation just to the game.  But what if someone makes a passive-aggressive comment?  What if he comes in wearing a Trump t-shirt?  What happens if she starts talking about the recount filed in Wisconsin or something?  And, more importantly, what will I do about it?  And, moreover, what happens if they ignore me asking them to stop talking about politics during the game?  What will I have to do then?

I just hope that no one fucking talks about politics this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment