Tuesday, November 22, 2016

I Can't Buy These Tickets Ever Again

So for the past two years, during the Minnesota State Fair, the University of Minnesota has an entire building.  A part of it is dedicated to the athletic program, where they have promotional videos on a loop and show the championships and trophies the school has won.  (A couple years ago was the year the football team won Floyd of Rosedale and the Little Brown Jug, and I may have been more geeked out to be able to take photos of those rivalry trophies than I should have.)  They also have a ticket office where they advertise tickets that are, seemingly, dirt cheap for events for the sports teams playing in the fall and winter.  Seeing as how they say these tickets won't be this cheap after the Fair, I decided to buy -- one men's basketball ticket (I think, I may have purchased a women's basketball ticket too) in 2015, then two men's b-ball and one men's hockey ticket this year.

Last year, the men's basketball game was on a Monday, and I remember that I had to drive through the first significant snowstorm of the season in order to get to Williams Arena and attend the game (which, by the way, was one of the few games the Gophers won -- they beat Clemson -- at home, and won period).  This year, the first game was on Friday (vs. St. John's), and I had to drive through, you guessed it, the first significant snowstorm of the season in order to get to the game.  I made up a cockamamie lie about needing to videochat on better wi-fi with someone looking at my Stanford application because something was wrong with it.

Tonight is the other game, against Arkansas.  And goddammit, the second significant snowstorm of the year is falling tonight (and now, actually).  I told my folks that I was too late getting to the coffeeshop on Friday and so I missed the videochat then, but the Stanford rep was going to try again tonight, just after work, and so I won't be coming home for dinner tonight.  That should give me cover to watch the game -- assuming, of course, the traffic isn't so bad that I get into a bad accident or something.

I'm getting too unlucky with buying these tickets at the Fair.  Maybe I should not buy them anymore.  Or maybe there's a chance I'll have decent weather for the hockey game close to New Year's.  Or, maybe then there'll be an actually blizzard, in which case I won't even approach the U. building come the Fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment