Thursday, November 17, 2016

Two Held-Up Hands = Two Middle Fingers?

OK, so legendary Canadian donut store Tim Hortons opened up its first store in Minnesota (well, I heard that there was one somewhere around the state for a spell in the early nineties) at the Mall of America.  And I was all, "Boss!"  Because even though I had pretty shitty customer service at the TH across from our hotel when we were in Toronto, I thought the donuts and coffee were pretty good.

I was going to go when for their grand opening, which I heard on Monday (or was it the weekend?) that it was going to be Thursday, so I thought, "Cool!  The Megamall is right by my work.  I'll just wake up early one of these days, go there, pick up some donuts and coffee, and enjoy it in my cube!"  But then I actually read the article and saw that the store wasn't going to open up until 11, right in the middle of my day.  I guess Tim Hortons sees donuts and coffee as lunch food.  So I was like, "Man!"

But then yesterday I read that Tim Hortons was open Tuesday.  That was the soft opening, but apparently, they were already open last week.  So I thought, "Well, hell, why don't I get the donuts and coffee tomorrow morning?  And I'll volunteer to grab something for my co-worker!  That sounds neat!"

So I wake up early and drive early to the Megamall (a traffic stop on the way through the tunnel really helped clear out the cars) and I get to Tim Hortons and the damn thing's closed.  There are, oh, 6-12 people lined up.  And then it slowly dawned on me: Even though they were open as early as 7 these days since last week, they will only open at 11 today, which is the grand opening.  So they're just changing opening times today for some fucking reason.

The General Manager (I guess) said as much.  The people waiting outside probably are Tim Hortons diehards who wanted to get all the prizes that comes with being the first 50 people to go through the TH, even though the goddamn store's been open since last week.  Those people waiting probably are also unemployed.  I am not unemployed, so when the GM told me the spiel, all of which I already knew or was able to discern, I threw both my hands up, said "Thanks," said "Fuck" to myself, and left for here.

I was pissed.  Still am.  It's one of those things where, based on information, I thought one thing, and so I prepared myself in order to achieve this one thing, but it didn't happen because, frankly, they weren't clear.  A way-younger me would have thrown a tantrum and/or gave the GM and the people waiting in line and the store two middle fingers.  So I wonder if throwing my hands up was my sublimated way to do the same thing as a grown-up.  Well, if so, I'm not sure if held-up hands conveys the same "screw you" sentiment as the double bird.

Well, I'll try and go tomorrow.  Hopefully I'll wake up in time and/or not get into an accident because it's going to snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment