Wednesday, November 30, 2016

O. M. G.

So there's a guy at work who I spoke to a lot when we were in the same room.  Nice guy, really smart ... and a Republican.  When we talked about politics he was very candid in how he stood.  So, when he said he approved of Scott Walker busting the unions in Wisconsin even though he is in a union himself, I appreciated his forthrightness, if not his logic.

This morning, while I was getting coffee, I overheard his distinct voice.  He was talking about the $420 million Powerball jackpot just was just won by, like, 20 office workers, I think, in Tennessee.  I didn't get the whole gist of what he said, but one phrase stood out, and I don't think context makes it sound any better: "Watch -- lower- and middle-income people will just spend all that money."

WTF?!?!?!  That's ... classist?  Is that a word?  And even if he believes that (and he shouldn't), what made him think that was something you could say loud enough for people getting coffee to overhear?  Maybe an opinion like that is controversial.  Maybe.

No, I'm not going to call him out on it.  We work separately now, doesn't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment