Monday, October 23, 2017

Out, Damned Unread E-Mail

So I don't remember when this started happening, but at some point in my Yahoo! Mail account I got one unread message that I haven't been able to track.  I do my best to read (or more like plow through) the e-mails that accumulate in my inbox ... you know, there was a time when I let several days pass and I think that's when I suddenly got this one new unread e-mail I couldn't find, and as the days passed the date of that message kept getting pushed back further and further until it was impossible to find it.

Well ... there is another thing.  I have recently (or maybe this was two years ago, I honestly don't remember) started starring messages I wanted to go back to.  That way I could scroll down and see the e-mails I wanted to revisit.  This may have been one of those, because sometimes when you star a message, Yahoo! re-labels it as unread.  I may not have noticed it when I was dashing through all the junk e-mail I received, and I never got on top of it as soon as I saw that after going through my messages, there was still one that is "Unread."

I thought that there was absolutely no way to find it, and therefore no way to ever read and get rid of that star/status.  But Yahoo! Mail, I think, converted or changed its interface or something.  And they may have done it several months ago, because just now (aside: I had been meaning to talk about hunting for this unread e-mail message for months) I noticed that, on the column on the left, you can sort messages by ones that are Unread as well as ones that are Starred.  How long have I been able to do that?

I clicked the Starred category.  Wasn't much of a help because there are a lot of Starred messages, many of which I want Starred because they contain information that I will need to go back to.  But I found it when I clicked on Unread.  It seems as though this rogue e-mail is from March 4, 2016, and it's a junk e-mail from LinkedIn.  And since I just clicked on it, I now have, for the first time in months if not years, have zero Unread messages.  Thank Buddha.

No comments:

Post a Comment