Friday, March 30, 2018

Two Jobs? Maybe Zero?

So I'm working this morning, right now ... well, I had to start my morning pulling the shells off the two hard-boiled eggs My Father made for me, then washing my hands, then getting tea, then washing a plum, then eating the plum, then washing my hands, so that took about 45 minutes out of my day ... so I'm working, and I get IM'd by a guy I worked with at the job here before the New Year.  He's been watching out for me, I've got to tell you, and he has continued to both encourage me to look for full-time jobs here and to look for full-time jobs here for me.

Well, he IM'd me to say that he has finally connected to someone who he says will be opening up a spot in a couple weeks, and that he wanted me to meet up with him so he can introduce me to her.  The meeting went well; I think I will be working for her, but I need to talk to the person who will be doing the hiring for that particular position first, and that won't even be posted until next week.

So, great!  Except that when he messaged me, I was in the middle of this big report that seems to be important to my boss.  (I'm still doing it right now.  Well, not right right now, I'm doing this, but I'm doing that as soon as I'm doing this.)  And frankly, I'm not sure when I'll be done with this job -- or if I will be done with this job.  I've been extended from my original end date of two weeks ago, but have not been given a new one.  Meanwhile, after stuffing envelopes and scrubbing this report, there might be another thing that my boss is lining up for me, and from what I remember her describing that role to me, it seems to be an ongoing concern ... something that someone full-time would do.

I like this job, I really do.  I think my boss likes and respects me.  She's caught me on the Internet a few times and she hasn't called me out on that yet, let alone fired me.  That's signs of a real good job.  The only problem, as far as I can tell, is that this isn't full-time.  But I want it to be.  But maybe it is and I don't know it yet.  Or, it will be soon.  And in the meantime I might go for this actual full-time job as early as next week, and there are people who know that I'm aiming for it.

What do I do now?  I could abandon this current job, tell my current boss that I'm going for it, potentially burn my bridge with her, and, because I may not be quite right for it, not get the job, and be completely on the street, penniless.  Or, I could betray both my friend who's looking out for me and the person I just met in this new department and say I want to be loyal to my current job and boss, and, because it is a temp job, lose my job as soon as its duties are done, and be completely on the street, penniless.

(shrug)

No comments:

Post a Comment