Saturday, March 24, 2018

2018 March Madness Anti-Picks, Round 4

Record, Round 3: 6-2
Overall Record: 24-20
Outlay, Round 3: $700.00
Returns, Round 3: $1,327.55
Gain, Round 3: $627.55
Overall Gain: $812.64

You know, maybe I should extend this dream vacation in Las Vegas out to Round 3.  I don't remember having such success in the Sweet Sixteen, but I bet on four underdogs, and all four of them came through.  I can't recall a time where the underdogs have bit so hard in a tournament, which probably means that contrary to at least one advanced metric study before The Big Dance began, the topsy-turvy parity that riddled the college basketball regular season does indeed carry over to the tourney as well.

I got semi-lucky in that Clemson was able to close enough against Kansas to cover its +5.  That fulfilled the two-leg parlay with Texas Tech +1 1/2.  Moreover, I took the Red Raiders over Purdue Moneyline, and unfortunately for my real brackets and picks, they took it to the Boilermakers.  (This shows that I should fade my own picks on every turn; in other words, the only Anti-Picks I should Anti-Pick are my own Anti-Picks.)  My only miss was the Tigers beating the Jayhawks outright, which ruined my other two-legger.  But that only sunk $100.  I hit on everything else, which gave me a huge profit that increased my bankroll, thank Buddha.

---

I saw once that the Elite Eight is where the favorites finally assert themselves.  Does that still hold true in The Most Level Season In College Basketball History?

Lines courtesy of Doc's Sports:

1) Loyola-Chicago +1 (I can't fucking believe that one regional final pits the 9-seed against the 11-.  That's bullshit.  But hey, congratulations to the Ramblers, whose efficiency numbers proved that they indeed are a dog live enough to make it this far, and possibly even farther!  At +1 against Kansas St. [and can you goddamn believe that Kansas St. could be a Final Four team?], why not take them Against The Spread ...) $100

2) Loyola-Chicago M/L ... uh, -1 (???) (... and Straight-Up?) $50

3) Michigan -3 1/2 (Also, can you goddamn believe that Florida St. could be a Final Four team, too?  But this is a game where I'm going for the favorite.  I should have taken the Wolverines in this region.  They are destroying teams right now, and I think the Seminoles will be nothing more than a speedbump as well) $100

4) Kansas +3 (The only good thing about my busted bracket now is that I still have Duke going all the way.  Which totally means that they will lose in the regional final to a Kansas club that took a hell of a long time to get their shit together) $100

5) Kansas M/L +135 (And by the way, I don't remember the last time one of my picks has reached the Final Four.  I swear it's been at least three seasons since I was smart enough to choose a team that won its region.  I am terrible at this IRL) $50

6) Parlay 1) with 4), for $100.

7) Parlay 2) with 5), for $50.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment