Friday, November 9, 2018

Turns Out No One Likes The Guy Training Me This Week

So this week I switched to a new dimension to my job.  For what I've seen so far, I like it, a lot.  There doesn't seem to be a deadline where I have to get the work done, so there's no stress there.  What does go on there seems to be up my alley; I don't feel as lost as I do in my first skill set, and I think I have most of the gist of it down.  Finally (and this most certainly could change), I like everybody in the department.  They are so nice, and they're willing to help, and that's including the guy who is training me.

That last sentiment isn't shared, however.  Today, I didn't know which department I would be working in because the guy wasn't there to train me.  But I just sauntered into the new department and started working.  (Turns out I should have gone back to my old department first thing in the morning.  E-mailed my supervisor, and an hour into the day he told me to get out of there.  That is an echo to Tuesday, where I started out at my old department when I should have directly went into my new department first thing.)  As the others started rolling in, late because of the first dusting of snow of the season (there are no worse drivers than Minnesotans after the first snow of the season), they started telling me how the guy who's training me ... uh, could be better at his job.  One of them complains that he doesn't tell the other people about things they might want to know, such as me coming into training starting this week.  Also, one of them overheard him saying to me, "I told you this yesterday ..." and taking deep umbrage at his tone.  I didn't really mind it; the supervisor from my previous skill set pulled that line on me twice.  But maybe I've just shielded myself to it, and that I maybe should listen to the woman who thought he went over the line.

OK, so the other people in the dept. thinks he's kind of a dope.  I have no beef with him.  And yet -- this is something worth keeping in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment