Sunday, November 25, 2018

Damn Pharmacy Ninja

My Father asked me to get his refill of sleeping pills, even though he's out of the country and won't get them until he gets back here.  (He's a fucking addict.)  He demanded that I get them this week, but the day after I called it in, I was told by the pharmacist or the cashier in the pharmacy said that it was $151 because My Father's insurance would not pay for it.  That's odd; three months ago, in late August, My Father's insurance totally paid for it, to the point where the co-pay was less than three bucks.  The guy said I needed to come back with My Father's insurance information.  I left puzzled; he already has My Father's insurance information.

Because of that, uh, clash, I no longer believed he would help me, at least in a way that I would be satisfied with.  I just can't see how anyone would not be able to look up information voluntarily given to the pharmacy, and then applied to a drug regularly used by that customer, to cut the price down to its rightful amount unless, well, unless he didn't care.  And that is what I concluded with this guy: He didn't give a fuck, and so it would be useless to take my grievances back to him.

Told my parents about this.  If worst comes to worst, My Mother said, I could go into their room and find My Father's insurance cards.  I was hoping I would not need to employ such drastic means.  I figured I could just find the receipt for the pills I picked up in August and show them that the insurance information used then to knock down the price of My Father's sleeping pills to three bucks is information they still have, and since it's still 2018, there would be no reason for it to change or be rendered inaccurate.

I found that receipt, and on Black Friday I went to the pharmacy right after work.  But I had to case the joint for a bit because I really did not want to even see him working there.  If I did, I would walk right back out.  I'm serious -- this is how low I thought of his willingness to help me.

On Friday I was milling about, casing the joint.  I wanted to see if that guy was around without looking as though I was seeing if that guy was around.  And sure enough, while pretending to, uh, look up the price for Mucinex, I saw him, behind the counter, answering the phone like any pharmacist would.  Talking to him would be a waste of my time, I thought, so I promptly left.

---

Work was so slow yesterday (Saturday) that I was cut a half-hour early.  I thought about going back to the pharmacy Sunday to see if he was there (or if he works seven days a week like my parents did when they ran The Store), but getting off work early yesterday/Saturday compelled me to give it a shot after work.

Once again I cased the joint.  I casually looked around the pharmacy to see if he was there.  Behind the counter, all I saw was some girl working by herself.  I looked to my left, then to my right, and then I started approaching the counter as though I wanted to pick up a prescription.

But as the girl went to the counter and looked up the information she had to use to retrieve My Father's refill, from my left, outta fuckin' nowhere, was that guy, opening the door to get into the pharmacy.  WHERE IN THE FUCK DID HE COME FROM?!?!?!  I looked everywhere for, like, two minutes before sticking my neck out and talking about the good insurance on the meds.  Just as I thought the coast was clear and I could get a fresh face to take a lot at the situation, this damn pharmacy ninja fucks up my plans.  Quite literally, I must say; once I saw him enter, I turned my head, put the August sleeping pills receipt up to my mouth, and quietly uttered, "Fuck."

But by then the cat was out of the bag.  If I had just told the girl that I needed her to re-check the insurance information on those pills, and if he overheard all that, there's no reason to keep that a secret from him, too.  From them on I spoke to the guy who initially rejected me.  And you know what?  It looks as though he looked up My Father's insurance information again and used it on the pills.  And it applied -- the total went from almost $151 to just under $3.

So all's well that ends well.  That guy just corrected his mistake.  Shouldn't've made it in the first place, but whatevs.  All that's important is that I will get those pills when I remember to bring my folks' credit card.  But if that damn pharmacy ninja blindsides me again when I come in, I will take umbrage.  Believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment