Saturday, March 28, 2020

When You Roll The Dice Getting Your Shoes Shined

Oh yeah ... went to get my shoes shined yesterday.  Do it every month, and even with the pandemic, I was in the mindset of, "Oh yeah, I need to get my shoes shined."  And she was there -- abbreviated hours, but she was there.  It hasn't been that busy, but she says many of her regular customers are still going in for work, so she continues to show up.

First thing I say to her: "Are you sick?"  To which she replies, "Are you sick?"  Fair point.  It didn't really hit me until I got there that this is the kind of interaction that's frowned upon: Less than six fit in public, and even though I know her, I don't know know her.  But we talked about it while she shined my shoes, and in 20 minutes we were done.  Gave her a $20, no hugs but well wishes, and we were off.

And now we just have to hope that neither of us are sick.  We promised each other that if we come down with something, we'd tell the other.  That's the best we can do.  And at this stage of the epidemic, that is the risk both of us are willing to take.

Hmmm ... ideally, I would be staying at home for months.  But work tells me I have to go to work.  And there are groceries that we need for home.  And yes, I have a hunkering for juice and, pretty soon, alcohol.  Those are situations where, to the average person, you can understand a breach of social distancing.  But do I really need my shoes shined?  Probably not.  But yet, at this stage of the epidemic, that is the risk I am willing to take.  And I think I am willing to take it next month as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment