Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Second Shift's Nice, But ...

You know, for all my talk about how I like being by myself for second shift, and then having anxiety during that shift, etc., etc., I have not talked about the woman who works that shift.  She's really nice.  I like her a lot.

Saying that, she sometimes has this annoying penchant for asking for time off not months or weeks, but instead days in advance.  That happened yesterday, and it's a whopper -- seven consecutive evenings, starting from Thursday and, obviously, going through all next week.  Again, I would usually jump at the chance to fill in for her.  But I don't think I have to explain that in the near term I would have plans.  And I do: ****e* (which I just remembered went by the stripper name ******e) invited me and herself to ***e*'s place for our third threesome; I planned on going to My Favorite Stripclub (Cover Version) later this week; I promised my friend we would catch a Saints Game next week; and I have next Friday off, though that was mostly to fuck ****e, and I don't know what the hell happened to her.  Anyway, I have several evenings this week and next where I have stuff I want to do.  And all that's in jeopardy now that she plopped these days off, ostensibly, on my lap.

Well, maybe not my lap.  My supervisor has to deal with scheduling, and there's one other person who can split up the duties with me.  But it ain't ideal to go from working till midnight and then getting home at 12:30 only to wake up (potentially) at 5:30 to get to work at 6:30.  And if I keep up my evening plans and have the other guy do second shift on some of those dates, I'll have that strange turnaround time once or twice, and that might be difficult.  And that's why, when I replied to my boss, I told him that since it might be awkward to work second shift one night and then first shift the next day, it might make more sense if I just, well, took second shift for all seven nights.

That might happen; for all I know, this other guy has something going on.  He's human, he can make plans for the next two weeks, too.  And so it would be left to me to fill this shift, and since there's only person there, it is pretty vital that someone picks up the slack for her.  Look, all those things above are not must-dos; I can reschedule.  But I'd rather not, you know?  And I don't know why I can't look forward to these best laid plans because my co-worker -- my very nice, friendly co-worker -- kind of ruined them because she either couldn't give a proper head's-up or chose to spontaneously say she wants this and next week off.  A head's-up would have been nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment