Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Wait, Wait ... It's Nice To Be Wanted!

OK, so this serves as part addendum to my previous blog post.  The other guy who is in the same position as I, well, he in fact did not have any plans for the next two weeks.  And seeing as I do have plans, it is he who will be taking all seven available second shift dates: All next week and the two following that.  (It was supposed to be this Thursday and Friday, but I guess the person who wanted to take that time off thought that was too soon, so she changed her requests to after next week instead of before.)

Another surprise happened at work yesterday, and it's a good thing.  My co-worker who was afflicted with COVID-19 came back to work!  I was told the news from my boss when I popped into his office first thing yesterday morning to ask where specifically I should be that day.  He told me she was coming in for a half-day.  Glad she's back.  Glad she's alive.  I'm sure she feels the same way.

So the former lets me stick to other days of coverage for other people that had been already planned; no need to find someone to fill in for me so I can work evenings.  The latter, as my co-worker slowly ramps up her hours, will presumably obviate the need for me to fill in for her and come in half an hour early.  And that's good because I have been running around, going from one position to another, for the past few months now.  That probably means there will be less of that, possibly a lot less.

Have I been complaining about all that running around here in Wailing And Failing?  If so ... well, I take it all back!  It's nice to be wanted!  It's nice to be seen as someone who can fill in in a pinch and do the work almost as well as the full-time person I'm substituting for!  Please let me prove I'm indispensable!  Please don't let me be just some drowsy data entry drone for weeks at a time now, even though that may have been something I said I wanted!  I was stupid then!  I can do all the work now!

God, I'm such a hypocrite.

No comments:

Post a Comment