Saturday, August 28, 2021

Me And Coconut Just Don't See Eye To Eye

Desperate for something I could drink late at night which wasn't pop, I ducked into Target last night to find some juice.  I know juice isn't that much better than Coke when it comes to added sugar, which is what I should be looking at avoiding.  But I had to have something, and for variety's sake, I picked up Tropicana Pina Colada "Drink."

I remember when Orange Julius was at the mall closest to me, before Dairy Queen dropped its pretense and shoved its products under the DQ umbrella (DQ bought OJ in 1987) and before the mall closed down its food court (presumably last year in the middle of the pandemic).  I don't know what compelled to try this "pina colada" thing, but the first time I tried it, I fell in love with it.  Every time I went to OJ, at the mall or anywhere else, I bought it, drank it, and floated on a cloud.

Memories like that floated in my mind when I reached in and grabbed the bottle.  I cracked it open tonight and drank it because after having a big Angry Orchard at Hooters (I ordered a small, but the Hooters waitress said they were out of clean pint glasses so she gave me a big one at a small's price), I got thirsty.

I was today years old when I had some idea of what goes into a pina colada.  Is it a mix of pineapple and coconut?  OK!  I don't think of myself as a fan of coconut, but it can't be all that bad if it helps make a pina colada taste so good.  So I filled up my dirty mug with the Tropicana and ... well, I'm not saying it's bad.  I mean, if I were thirsty as hell, and I was earlier in the evening, I would down it, no problem.  But, you know, I guess I'm not that big a fan of coconut.  In particular, I blame it and not the pineapple for the somewhat tinny aftertaste.  Maybe I expected to get a buzz of tequila from it or something, but I think this is one drink I'll drink quickly because I don't think I'm in love with it.

Yeah, I think it's the coconut.  Me and coconut just don't see eye to eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment