Saturday, October 23, 2021

Visited Grandmother's best friend this afternoon.  Try to do it once a month.

I'll be frank; since she is now in that stage where she's completely forgotten the English she learned and is now just speaking in her native Vietnamese (at least I hope it is), I do my best to cope for the hour I give myself being in her presence.  It's football season, though, and so my plan was to change her TV to a football Game and just sneak a peek once in a while as she speaks to me in Vietnamese as though I understand her.  (I have an app, Papago, to try and translate what she says, but it's gibberish, indicating either the app doesn't work or she is gone to the point where she is speaking gibberish.)

This time around I was transfixed with the end of Illinois' nonuple-overtime upset at Penn St., and so I was openly ignoring her for minutes at a time, honestly.  But during her Vietnamese ramblings, I noticed that her eyes started to redden and swell.  Is she ... about to ... cry?

When she started sniffling, I had to stop watching the Game and I held her.  And she started to weep some more.  I never saw any tears, however, and after a few minutes she seemed OK again, just talking about stuff and even laughing once or twice.  She then started to get sad again, but she pulled herself back from the brink.

See, this is where not being able to understand her becomes a big problem.  I want to console her, but I don't know what to say.  I think I left her (after about 75 minutes) in a good place; she wasn't about to cry or anything.  Well, at least I don't think.  I hope she's OK, but like I said, I don't know how to help her if she isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment