Sunday, October 10, 2021

To Have Your Mood Depend On A Fucking Football Team

So the Vikings won this afternoon -- barely, and really, by all rights, they should have lost to lowly Detroit.  The Lions are an inferior team, but the Vikes just let them hang around because of questionable playcalling and constipated play.  Then the mistakes came -- a missed Field Goal, a Fumble in their own territory, and a blown coverage that turned into a made Two-Point Conversion and lead late ... once again, in a Game that, if they were any good, they would have put away by Halftime.

It's as angering a Win you can have rooting for your team.  But to be honest, I don't know if I would feel that way if my alma mater wouldn't have laid down and died last night.  Third time they have lost, third time they have been blown out, third time they have lost at home.  It's pissing me off.  Well, maybe; I may have been pissed off two blowouts ago.  Now, I'm numb.  And maybe the only reason I am feeling sour about this is because if I don't feel sour about it, I'll feel nothing about my alma mater shitting the bed, and the only thing worse than hating your team's sorry-ass play is not caring about their play at all.

And yet, should your outlook be dependent on a football team, or any sports team, you root for, one whose players don't know you and don't even know you exist?  The Common Man calls feeling such a way for the Vikes AVATAR -- Aggravated Vikings Anticipatory Traumatic Abandonment Syndrome.  Common has cured himself of it and, presumably, its analogue, ALATAR (replace "Vikings" with "Lions"; he was born in Detroit).  And even though I initially thought it was bullshit, his above-it-all indifference seemingly makes him a serene, peaceful man.  Fuck, I want that peace.  Is the secret to your well-being not caring about sports teams?  Because I sure as fuck want to learn how to not care about my sports teams now.

No comments:

Post a Comment