Sunday, October 10, 2021

So My Folks Are Leaving After All

My parents dropped a bombshell on me when we had lunch at my asshole brother's place yesterday/Saturday afternoon: They are going to their condo next month, resuming their habit of wintering in warm climes.

I kind of wish they had told me sooner.  Now that I know they are going to go on an airplane and travel away from home, risking contracting the coronavirus every step of the way and potentially getting bedridden far from home (if they still consider the Twin Cities home), that means that I don't have to worry about doing the same thing and making them question my judgement.  See -- and I don't know if I blog posted about this already -- I had booked a flight to Baltimore that actually is scheduled for this week.  But partly because my parents haven't taken a trip anywhere, I decided weeks ago that I wouldn't take this one.  Now, if I were still hellbent on going, well, that would mean that all three of us would be taking possibly unwise decisions in the name of pleasure.  I should come clean that my parents' possible disapproval wasn't the only reason why I have decided not to go to B'more.  There are real COVID-19- and pandemic-related risks -- getting into a car accident and potentially having to deal with my injuries in a waiting room because there are no ICU beds, sky-high prices for rental cars -- that convinced me that I should stay.

Still, it sucks that I will need to cancel my trip just after my folks say they're going on a trip of their own.  Southwest will allow me to keep my funds as credit, but I will lose them if I don't use them by the New Year.  I had planned on just pissing the money away.  But shoot, I guess I can use those funds to visit my parents in Las Vegas now, can't I?

Wait, never mind -- I just checked Southwest.  There are no direct flights from here to Vegas, and I'm not going to make a stopover for this kind of trip, no way.

No comments:

Post a Comment