Monday, January 17, 2022

A Good Surprise, I Think

It was in the middle of me plopping down to the see the Chiefs-Steelers Wild Card Game when I saw a text from my boss.  The woman who does second shift needed the whole week off -- could I do it?  Hell yeah, I can do it!

That does alter the plans I had for this week.  For example, I wanted to see The Amazing Race and the twist that's coming now that they are about to resume the race after a 19-month (!!!) layoff.  I had designs to see The 355 before coming home to see TAR.  And I was going to drop by a speakeasy and take a load off Thursday evening after getting a shave.

But honestly, I see opportunity here, and maybe even too much of it.  I can get my shave at a less-crowded morning or afternoon date now.  And having the daytime to work with means I now get to do a lot of things I would have needed to wait on.  For example, there's a suit I need to get drycleaned, and I will have the time to pop into my shrink's office building to drop it off at the locker.  I can try and get lunch, not only at a fast food restaurant but also at a fancier place.  I can get my shoes shined; it's not been a month yet, but she's retiring real soon, and I think I want to see her again, and besides, my Docs could use another polish.  I probably can exercise if it's early enough in the day.  And, maybe, I can get myself tested.  It might take an hour, or two, but if it's early enough, I'll have the time.

I usually don't like surprises like this.  I usually hate being confronted with a possible change in plans because I usually have some things I have in mind to do.  But it's like this world has just been opened up to me when I received my boss' text, and these things I now can do this week have instantly made me a more productive, and more alert, and happier, man.  Besides, you can't beat second shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment