Friday, January 21, 2022

The People At Work Have Shitty Taste In TV

We have two break rooms in the building in which I work.  One of them, deemed the "main" or the "big" one, has a TV.  You know, that's a good thing, especially during, say, second shift, when there is (sometimes) fewer people and you can sneak-watch, for example, the beginning of the latest episode of The Amazing Race, the one you wanted to see in its entirety because it was going to address how they were going to re-start the race after a 19-month (!!!) layoff, but couldn't because you were asked to work second shift.  I was fortunate that no one was actively watching something else.  The two or three people there were just listening to something or otherwise on their phones, so I picked up the remote and flipped it over.  If this was during day shift, I don't know if I would be able to do that because there would have been so many people there that I either would not be able to grab the remote or be able to watch what I want to watch without some passive-aggressive tut-tutting.

Anyway, this brings up something I have noticed now that I have worked there for three-plus years.  Whenever I go into this break room and see the TV on, it's nearly always tuned to a re-run of an old show on one of those subchannels, you know what I mean?  Those ".1" or ".2" channels that show these out-of-nowhere networks playing very old movies or television series that were on a decade ago, or older.  I have always wondered what stuck-in-the-past loser would watch these old fogie networks.  Turns out I work with them.

For example, tonight I took a break while glancing at an episode of CSI: Cyber.  The last of the CSI series, and the one that lasted only two years?  That one?  Damn, over-the-air networks will show anything.  And I frequently see the TV changed to The Closer, which is on one of those subchannels, and I think that show is shown on one of the local subchannels at any point in the day.

We obviously don't have cable at work.  But who in the hell wants to watch this dreck?  I immediately question the taste of anyone who goes out of his or her way to change the channel to this old show BS.  No sports?  No late night television?  Not even the news?  Wow, you've got shitty taste in TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment