Sunday, January 16, 2022

Just About Gone Through All The Drinks I Can Make

Man, one of the things I love about my parents not being here right now is the freedom to drink.  Well, not just drink, but to also buy small bottles of liquor, all the barware I need to make cocktails, and set all that stuff out on the counter without worrying about putting them away or throwing them into some storage container (although I did buy one the other day when my folks come home).

I may have trouble finishing even these small containers of booze that I bought, and I may deceptively be getting fat from them -- there's a lot of sugar in some of these cocktails!  But I have enjoyed learning how to make cocktails out of spirits.  I also like that I bought lime, lemon and orange juicers, taught myself how to make simple syrup, and bought a small bottle of Cointreau to expand the kinds of cocktails I can make.  I should make a spreadsheet about which cocktails I've made and the ingredients and amounts for each of them.  Till then I can make some grand conclusions about my taste in cocktails:
  • I love drinks that have simple syrup in them;
  • Contrastingly, I hate drinks that have club soda in them.  Have you tried it?  That shit's nasty!
  • There's no simple syrup in a Sidecar, but the combination of cognac, Cointreau and lemon juice makes for a really sweet drink.  I bought small bottles of cognac and Cointreau after I bought those of vodka, gin and rum because I was feeling boxed in with the drinks I could make with just those three spirits.  And I'm glad I did because it's good, and I think I make them OK.  I've been fascinated with Hennessey because I remember her having a big bottle on her nightstand when I was really young.  I never saw her drink it, but I was always fascinated by the mysterious contents but impressive, almost regal look of the bottle.  So I associated Hennessey with Grandmother.  The evening we said goodbye to her in Hong Kong I cajoled my sister into going to a big fancy Hong Kong bar to celebrate her life.  I made a point of buying the expensive drink with Hennessey.  Anyway, I make and drink Sidecars as an homage to my late, dear Grandmother.
  • Just made myself a Long Island Iced Tea last night, which is an amalgam of everything I have except whiskey, tonic water and club soda.  They say it's a drink that lulls into getting you very drunk, and after having one myself, and I can understand why.
I think I'll leave it there for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment