Thursday, January 20, 2022

Mixed Feelings About Second Shift (Again?)

Pros of second shift:
  • Not being tired when you wake up.
  • Having the afternoon (and even the morning) to do things you can only during the day.
  • Not feeling like you need to rush to do things.
  • Having the run of the workplace to yourself.
  • No supervisors around.
  • No pressure.
Cons of second shift:
  • Being tired when you go to work because you need an afternoon nap.
  • Wasting the afternoon (and even the morning) not doing the things you planned on doing.
  • Not having the evening to do things you want to do during the evening.
And ... that's it.  On the whole, it's better to work second shift.  After doing the above list, I now see that the dividends of working second shift are unanimously positive when it comes to work and work alone.  But -- and I was talking about this with one of my co-workers -- it's the other stuff that, I have also come to realize, gets in the way of someone who works second shift full-time.  While chores I have to do during business hours can be done without me taking time off, there is a tradeoff of not having the time of my day I usually have off, the evening, off because I'm working instead, and it's getting rougher to get used to.  Moreover, when I wake up in the morning and see that I have several hours to do what I want/need to do, I get overwhelmed, I do some things, and I mentally beat myself over the head over the things I couldn't do because it feels to me like I instead chose not to do them.  In that case, having time on my hands is a curse.

And now, instead of going through my stuff, I think I will try and take a nap instead.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment