Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Cold Weather: The Big De-Motivator

This is totally obvious, but if I haven't said it yet in my years here on WAF, I think I need to say it now: Really cold weather sucks because you don't want to do anything except stay underneath the covers all day.  Lately I've been able to get up well ahead of when I really need to; I may hit the snooze button on my cellphone once, maybe twice, but I'm walking and the lights are on way ahead of schedule.  But then ... but then ... I think I have time and so I lie back down on my bed to scroll through my phone (either Twitter or my e-mail) and stay warm.  I finally have to get out of the house, of course, but usually I am no more than a couple minutes earlier than I would have been, say, in the summer.

Hey, it's just hard to bolt out the door when the weather is telling you to stay inside because it's nasty out there.  And I'm not talking about temperatures just below freezing.  No, I'm talking about, at best, single digits above zero and, more often, temps below zero.  That's when it's really cold to a Minnesotan.  And that compels me to stay in the safe space of my bed, with only my grown-up attitude and the need to make money finally pushing me out the door.

We have possibly the coldest temperature of the season this morning.  If I (and my car) can get through that, it should be smooth sailing, at least for the next 48 hours; temps will rise almost 30 degrees through this afternoon.  Lower-to-mid-twenties will feel so balmy, I might just take off my pants!

No comments:

Post a Comment